Jeromy Madison
Jeromy Madison,
Experience:  Owner/Technician at Mad Auto Repair
90693043

, i have a 2008 prius that i replaced the original

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i have a 2008 prius that i replaced the original battery about 2-3 weeks ago with the yellow optima. this was my 2nd time as the wife has an 06 too. recently a check engine light came on and got C1241,c1300,p1121 a couple of times.i reset all and drove. came back on a week or so later. i am noticing a buzzing sound also
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jeromy Madison replied 1 year ago.

What kind of buzzing sound are you hearing? And where is it coming from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its more like a wah wah wah that used to go on and off-if that makes sense . it is located towards the drivers side front area
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is not loud enough to hear unless you have a quiet cabin .....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I just went and checked the new yellow optima voltage directly at the battery. It says 12.2 that according to another post that this is only 50% dvc. i tested it yesterday for voltage with everything on, and it showed 13.7 steady current with all accessories on: brights ,a/c, radio etc .

Was the car on while you checked it today?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it was off. I just called the place that i purchased it from and they are going to replace it. I will then erase the codes again and start over. if I continue to get codes i will come back . I did not check the voltage on the battery when I purchased it iether

Ok. The battery should be at about 12.65 volts when it is fully charged. If you had 13.7 volts while it was on then you most likely don't have a charging issue. I have never seen a charging issue with these vehicles, but 12 volt batteries seem to be a big issue due to the large parasitic draw that these have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
going to replace with a new Yellow Optima and will check voltage with my meter at the store. Then I can start from the beginning with a fresh 12 volt battery.--Did not have this issue when I replaced my wifes battery in her 2006. It went smooth as silk.
thanks Randy

Ok. Please let me know how it goes.