Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

, i have a 2008 prius that i replaced the original

Customer Question
I have a 2008...

I have a 2008 prius that i replaced the original battery about 2-3 weeks ago with the yellow optima. this was my 2nd time as the wife has an 06 too. recently a check engine light came on and got C1241,c1300,p1121 a couple of times.i reset all and drove. came back on a week or so later. i am noticing a buzzing sound also

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
1/29/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 2 years ago
Jeromy Madison

What kind of buzzing sound are you hearing? And where is it coming from?

its more like a wah wah wah that used to go on and off-if that makes sense . it is located towards the drivers side front area
it is not loud enough to hear unless you have a quiet cabin .....
ok I just went and checked the new yellow optima voltage directly at the battery. It says 12.2 that according to another post that this is only 50% dvc. i tested it yesterday for voltage with everything on, and it showed 13.7 steady current with all accessories on: brights ,a/c, radio etc .
Toyota Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 2 years ago

Was the car on while you checked it today?

no it was off. I just called the place that i purchased it from and they are going to replace it. I will then erase the codes again and start over. if I continue to get codes i will come back . I did not check the voltage on the battery when I purchased it iether
Toyota Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 2 years ago

Ok. The battery should be at about 12.65 volts when it is fully charged. If you had 13.7 volts while it was on then you most likely don't have a charging issue. I have never seen a charging issue with these vehicles, but 12 volt batteries seem to be a big issue due to the large parasitic draw that these have.

going to replace with a new Yellow Optima and will check voltage with my meter at the store. Then I can start from the beginning with a fresh 12 volt battery.--Did not have this issue when I replaced my wifes battery in her 2006. It went smooth as silk.
thanks Randy
Toyota Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 2 years ago

Ok. Please let me know how it goes.