Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

No codes. i do not recall unhooking any ground wires. can…

Customer Question
no codes. i do not...
no codes. i do not recall unhooking any ground wires. can you tell me where, if any grounds are located under the dash so i know where to look? i had the vehicle to our local auto electric shop and they said the grounds to the instrument cluster were ok but they couldn't point me in any direction.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/29/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Don - Mo Lurch, Toyota Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Toyota Mechanic

.

sorry for the delay............
.
Greetings...... “Hi, I’m Don (aka MOLurch) and I look forward to helping you!”
.
There are a number of Ground locations inside
Click Attachment below
I answered your original question of where the Grounds are
You did not post anything about the problem with the vehicle
Reason you had the vehicle to shop may help to identify the issue

.
IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating.
.
The way it works is, "I supply the Answer....You Rate my Answer"
.
Please take a moment to rate my service so that I can get credit for my time.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
.
Rating is very Important to our Service
.

the original issue was as follows: i replaced the heater core and when i put everything back together and turned the key to the on position the gauges did not appear to work (gas gauge stayed below empty). i then started the engine and i got a "ding ding ding" and the gauges started working (temp fuel and tach). however, when i moved the 4wd shifter into 4wd or pressed the overdrive button on the side of the shifter, the gauges would quit working. when i moved the 4wd shifter back to 2wd or pressed the overdrive button again, i got the "ding ding ding" and the gauges started working again. i then went for a test drive and the speedometer did not work. the speedometer did not work whether i moved the 4wd shifter or not. after trying different combinations of lever positions and unplugging various modules( shift interlock, 4wd module etc) everything else works ok except the gauges. now, the gauges do not work whether i am in 4wd or 2wd or whether i press the overdrive button.

Grounds for the Instrument Cluster is "ID" & "IE" as shown in Diagram
They should be on the Left side of Dash
You may be able to remove Cluster & see if they are connected

they are connected

yes, they are connected
???

sorry........trying to help......
will OPT Out & Relist
Please do not respond or rate, as this will lock the question
IF someone else has more info, they will respond here