Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I'd prefer assistance from either Skyvisions, Ted Ritter…

Customer Question
I'd prefer assistance from either...
I'd prefer assistance from either Skyvisions, Ted Ritter or Genchi Genbutsu, whoever is online & able to answer the soonest.07 Toyota Sienna 150000 miles.Problem with passenger side power sliding doorThe power functions on the door are working fine except I recently noticed the door will nothold open when parked on a decline. It does latch & hold open when parked on a flat surface. On a decline, it will open fully, but never latches or clicks and instead just reverses itself & closes again. I can get it to hold open on a decline if I turn off the power functions, then open it manually to the point where it latches or clicks.The only history I'm aware of on the door was a different unrelated issue but will share if it's helpful. I replaced the power lock release actuator a few years ago, but that was because the door wouldn't open by itself, I had to do pull the handle manually then it would take over.I'm assuming another part needs to be replaced but I'm not well versed on these power doors so thought I'd ask here. I'd also like an idea of whether or not it's something I could do myself. If not, I'd like a ballpark of what it would cost to have a dealer fix it.Thanks for any insight you can give me.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
1/26/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The first thing that needs checked here is to see if there is any debris in the sliding track or latches on the door and door track area.If any debris is found this will need to be cleaned out to correct this issue here.If this is or has already been checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

OK I'll have to wait until daylight to check. The door works OK when using it manually, I'm only having the issue when it's in the normal/power operation. In that case, is debris still a possibility?The tracks & latch areas didn't look too bad & no obvious obstruction when I glanced at them the other day, but I may need to look more thoroughly too if that could be causing it.

It is still possible that debris is causing this here if there is any slight restriction this can cause an issue with the electronic operation in some cases.Let me know what you find here when your ready.

I've checked the latch & track areas. I scraped a small amount of debris with a hook tool (mainly pine needles & maybe a small squashed berry or something) from the latch area on the lower track. And looks like some sand as well.There's still residual dirt & debris but it doesn't seen significant enough to impact operation to me but I may be wrong. I tried the power functions again afterward, it's a little better but still not right. It isn't reversing itself now & It holds open on declines (my driveway) now, but just barely, the latch doesn't click and I hear it creaking which tells me it could release & close itself anytime. I was able to prove that theory by opening & closing the front passenger door, and the vibration of that caused the sliding door to close itself. Manually, it's still clicking & holding open without any issue.I'm trying to attach a few photos. Can you glance at them and tell me if the remaining debris looks still looks like it's enough to cause an issue? If so, any quick & simple way to clean those recessed areas or do I just have to work at it?
IMG_20160126_103907523.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20160126_103927892.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20160126_103913964.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20160126_103944310.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20160126_103950009.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20160126_103959961.jpgIMG_201...jpg

With that small amount of dirt and debris here this shouldnt cause the fault here.Looking at my info on this model here it is limited on this door and its complete operation so it would be best for me to see if anyone else here can assist further on this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete