Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

How to troubleshoot airbag codes B0100 & B1180? I have a…

Customer Question
How to troubleshoot airbag codes...
How to troubleshoot airbag codes B0100 & B1180?
Hello, I have a 2004 Toyota 4Runner. It was in a car accident. Driver's and passenger airbags were deploryed and have been replaced. Also replaced seatbelt and airbag control module. However, now I am getting codes B0100 and B1180.
I did some reading and I think it's for Short in the driver airbag circuit. I would like to simulate an airbag, then the clock spring with a transistor to see if I can find the fault that way. But I don't know the right resistance, or the exact wired to connect to the transistor. Or maybe a different method for troubleshooting? Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
1/25/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your 4Runner.

Have you replaced the spiral cable yet?

This piece, just like the center SRS ECU, is supposed to be replaced anytime the vehicle has the airbags deployed.

Hello, no, I haven't replaced the spiral cable yet. But I don't like to order new parts and simply cross my fingers, hoping that will fix it. I want to CONFIRM that it doesn't work, before replacing it. how can I test it with resistors? Or troubleshoot the issue with out going out and buying parts before confirming the issue ?
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 2 years ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Different expert here. Please allow me to assist on this. Testing anything with resistors and voltmeters is NOT a good idea. You can and will deploy the air bags that are in the car or damage the center air bag computer. If you want to test the spiral cable, you need to disconnect if from the system at the wire connector, and then disconnect the air bag fro its connector. Using an ohm-meter, test for direct continuity between the spiral cable Yellow/Black wire and the + on the air bag connector. Then test for direct continuity between the spiral cable Yellow wire and the - terminal that goes to the air bag. Both wires should show direct continuity if they are good. The B1180 code is stored in the air bag computer when the bags deploy. This is normal. I would expect you to find a problem with the spiral cable. The codes will need to be cleared when you replace the affected part(s) Note: According to Toyota, any time the air bags deploy, the center air bag sensor, the crash sensors, and the spiral cable need to be replaced. You might get away with replacement of a faulty spiral cable....but, in the event of another collision that would mandate an air bag deployment, the re-used center air bag sensor may NOT cause the bags to deploy. This is something you need to consider. I would not want to be responsible for injury to my passengers because I failed to replace a part that the manufacturer specifically states needs replaced during a deployment.

Please confirm you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks

The airbag has two connectors, so it has four wires going from the clockspring to airbag. Yellow and blue are going to the orange connector. Red and black wires go to the black connector. On the other side of the clockspring, coming from the steering column. It also has four cables on one connector. I checked for continuity from both yellow and blue wires to the other side of the clockspring. But it has continuity to to of the connector slots, they seemed to be fused, crossed, or connected. I dont know if its by design. or if this confirms there is a short. Should all 4 wires be completely isolated?

also, you say I need to change the crash sensor, where is it? is it integrated to the airbag?

All four wires should have no cross circuiting. The codes you have indicate a short circuit in the spiral cable. This is to be expected when the air bag deploys. What happens when the air bag deploys is a small charge of a chemical called Sodium Azide is caused to ignite. The Heat of the ignition is sufficient to fuse the clockspring wires. The resultant action of the sodium Azide charge is what inflates the bag. the air bag module gets very hot the instant it deploys. You need to replace the spiral cable. The crash sensors are located on either side fo the front radiator support. There are easily identified by having bright yellow wire connectors.