Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

There is no power to the trailer brake plug on my 2015

Customer Question

There is no power to the trailer brake plug on my 2015 tundra
Category: Toyota
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

are any of the fuses blown

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No fuses are good
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

do you have a test light

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
multimeter
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

test for voltage at the plug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The two big black wires have no power the small gauge red wire shows power when brake pedal depressed. The big black wire is the main power and it is dead
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

the power wire is located between the under hood fuse box and the left (driver) side fender. need to make sure it is connected

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no wires running between the fuse box and the drivers fender nor are there any loose wires any where around the fuse box or firewall...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
far you've asked all the questions I did.... I was hoping you knew something to help with the issue of no power to the factory trailer brake plug.
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

I believe I can help on this concern if you still need help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, there is no power to the factory trailer brake plug , there are no in connected wires in or around the fuse box under the hood . This is my third tundra, the first an 08 then a 13 and now a 2015 with towing package with the only difference being the location of the plug( now just below tow haul switch to the right of steering column) the factory wires are in the harness however the larger gauge wires ( in the plug)that power a controller have no power.

Just to make sure I understand, the only wire not working at your 7 pin trailer connector is the electric brake?

Are you going to be running an aftermarket controller or the OEM style trailer brake controller.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After market curt controller with updated adapter plug for 2015 tundra... The issue ( inside vehicle) is the factory plug which has two large gauge wires which connect to a brake controller that have no power

Gotcha, are there 9 wires at this connector?

Your not getting all the time power on the black wire, or on the yellow ignition wire with the key on?

Are you using the ground in this connector for your test or another ground?

Is the controller getting brake signal power on the Brown wire?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brake signal is okay when pedal depressed just no power at any time from the large black wire .... Tested ground at plug and chassis all other wires in factory plug are good but without the large wire which should be on all the time the controller cannot power up... It is from the factory and should be live as it was on all my previous tundras...it is not connected somewhere between the plug and the fusebox

Looking back over our discussion and the prior one I do not see where the fuse for this circuit was checked. It is the TOW BRK 40amp in the fuse box under the hood, is it there and is it powered?

To the left of the drivers left foot is a 2 pin gray connector with this black wire in it. This is the only inline connector between the fuse box and brake controller connector. Check for power there as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All fuses in place and are good I will check for power under the switch when I am back at truck had to travel for work back Saturday

The post will time out and close on the 29th so if I do not hear back from you. Thanks for letting me try to help.