Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My toyota tacoma won't start in the morning, once it does it…

Customer Question
***** *****, good morning...

***** *****, good morning, my toyota tacoma won't start in the morning, once it does it hardly idles, I have to crank for about a minute before it fires, idles about 500rpm for about a min or so, then runs fine all day. seems like it lost its fuel pressure during the nite, seems to be a fuel issue, any suggestions? Check engine lite, code read temp sensor malfunction.......done at autozone, seems irrelative

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

It used to start almost immediatly, now i have to crank until the battery is almost dead before it fires, need to gingerly press on the gas pedal until all cyc. are firing, then it runs fine

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Ok i'll wait

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
1/21/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 2 years ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Good Morning. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I agree with your astute diagnosis. What you have here is indeed a fuel pressure problem. Th problem is a faulty inline/one-way check valve that is built into the fuel pump. When the check valve fails (leaks off), all of your fuel pressure is lost, and your fuel drains back into the tank. The repeated cranking is needed to repressurize the fuel line and the fuel rail to the injectors, while, at the same time, the air inside the lines is purged out. If you were to take a mechanical fuel gauge, and attach it to the fuel rail, you would see that you have zero pressure when you start it several hours after is was shut off. This should not be so. Fuel pressure should be maintained a the fuel rail to prevent the extended cranking condition that you are experiencing. The remedy here is to replace the fuel pump (thsi is necessary because the fuel check valve is not replaceable). The fuel tank will need to come off in order to perform this replacement. If you are going to attempt to do thsi yourself, lubricate the tank mounting bolts liberally with a very good penetrating oil before undertaking this project. The mounting bolts are known to break off because they rust inside the threads. Drilling out these threads is very difficult if you do not have access to a vehicle hoist. I would also recommend that you replace the fuel pump with a genuine Toyota fuel pump. The aftermarket pumps are known to fail. You do not want to pull the tank back off in a year or so to redo this operation. Use Toyota parts and you should be OK.

Please confirm you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks