Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I just swapped a non-vvt engine out of a 1998 toyota corolla

Customer Question

Customer: I just swapped a non-vvt engine out of a 1998 toyota corolla for a 2001 vvt engine. We changed the cams, cam shaft sprocket and chain from the non vvt to the vvt. the car runs fine but the timing chain is making noise do we have to change the head as well?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Absolutely
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I would be thinking about the chain tensioner being the problem. Since it is hydraulic, it may not be receiving proper oil pressure, or, the oil control valve is dumping fluid to a non-existant VVT controller, which would starve the tensioner of proper oil pressure. This will cause the chain to go slack.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well, I have changed the tensioner as well and still seem to have the same noise from the chain. It seems like the chain is too long by a link or two.

is this with the tensioner manually moved outward to tension the chain? The tensioner requires oil pressure to extend.