Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

RSCA and Airbag lights came on the other day on my 2005

Customer Question
sequoia. Can't turn them...
RSCA and Airbag lights came on the other day on my 2005 sequoia. Can't turn them off with the button on the dash. Held it in for a while with the car on. Private technician hooked up a Toyota scan tool to the car and it could not connect to the Airbag system on the ECM. Hooked up a computer to the OBD and it showed no power to the airbag system and could not connect to read the codes. Technician checked for loose connections to the ECM and found none. Suggested I replace the ECM. No guarantee that it will solve the problem. This is getting expensive. Do you have any other suggestions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
1/20/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 2 years ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. It would be very rare that the air bag ECM is not receiving any power, but has power to illuminate the indicator lamps on the instrument panel. Note that on this vehicle the ECM for the vehicle and the ECM for the air bags are two distinct units, separate form each other. Not all scan tools can access the air bag ecu to interface for air bag codes. If the air bag light is on, the computer has power and it has a code (or codes) in it. This sounds to me like the tool being used to scan the vehicle is incompatible. I would seek out a Toyota dealership service department and have the vehicle scanned with the proper computer tester. As long as the air bag light is on, the air bags will NOT deploy in the event of a collision. In the interests of you (and your passengers') safety, I would get this looked at by a Toyota tech familiar with air bag systems.

Please confirm you have received my input on your request; thanks.

Thanks for the response. The tech insists that he has the same tools and software that the dealer has. Not sure what he used but I did see him hook up his laptop to it and it showed no connection to the system.
I did read somewhere on line that there was a way to reset it using a short wire in a couple of pins in the OBD and using a certain sequence of actions. Is this foolish to do?

No....... Air bag resets (even if you could do it) would instantly allow the lights to come back on if a hard fault was determined during the 7 second self-test (the self test happens right after the key is turned on).

I would not recommend you pay any attention to internet myths and probe the wrong connectors. You could easily short out the ECM. And then it will need to be replaced.