Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

1987 Toyota pickup base automatic 2.4l carburated.

Customer Question
Transmission takes a long time...
1987 Toyota pickup base automatic 2.4l carburated. Transmission takes a long time to shift gears, does not slip just takes long time. Sometimes you can speed up and let off accelerator and it will shift. It has been doing this for 3 yrs. I have changed the filter fluid and cleaned the cooler and line but no change. Someone told me to change the temp sensor. I did with no effect.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
1/19/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 1 year ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds like it should be one of three things. First, the adjustment of the throttle cable (from the carb to the transmission is very important. With the engine off, have an assistant press the gas pedal to the floor. Observe the trans throttle cable. At the end of the black rubber boot, you should see a tiny metal cylinder attached to the cable. This cylinder, with the pedal fully depressed, should be poking exactly one millimeter out from under the runner boot. You should not see the entire cylinder. If you see the entire cylinder, the cable is out of adjustment. Loosen the 2 adjustment nuts and move the cable to obtain one millimeter of visibility on the metal cylinder. Second, locate where the trans throttle cable connects to the trans. Ensure that it moves freely when the gas pedal is pressed and released. If not, spray with penetrating oil until it is free. If the penetrating oil does not work, replace the cable. Last, contaminated transmission fluid can cause a shellac-type residue on the valves in the valve body. This causes them to not slide as fast as they should. A good transmission flush, with a cleaner added to the fluid being introduced during the flush, will clean these deposits off. Simply draining the trans pan and adding new fluid will not work here. When you drain the pan, you leave 3 quarts of dirty fluid in the system (in the torque converter). One, or a combination of the above three recommendations should rectify this problem.

please report that you have received my input on this request; thanks.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
going to check I will get back to you

ok.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
alright I did what you said. On transmission cable there is a orange boot. I am attaching a picture. Is this what your talking about? because pedal depressed makes no difference on placement of cable where the adjustment nuts are

Someone has changed the cable. It is not orange from the factory. There should be a small metal circle under the left side of the orange boot. The cable should move

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
cable does move, small circle that the boot catches on.

If the cable moves and is adjusted properly, I would proceed with a complete transmission flush.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
flush did not work , but I believe it is cable because it has changed shifting habits to more long drawn out shifts

It could be the cable, yes, or it could also be where the cable connects to the transmission. See if the arm on the side of the trans is moving freely. If not, spray liberally with a good penetrating oil (WD 40 is good, PB Blaster is better)...Then work it back and forth. There is an adjustment on the cable at the carb.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert