Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Today I had to boost my 2011 Tacoma. Left it idle after the

Customer Question

Today I had to boost my 2011 Tacoma. Left it idle after the boost. Then drove it for 3 minutes. Engine started to get loud, oil light came on and then it died. Hosted again. Engine really loud and truck was shaking while idling. It would then die. Boosted again. Then die. Oil light stays on. It is -30 with the wind chill. Not sure if that has anything to do with it but my parents truck is not doing anything like that and Hans't been plugged in either.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If this truck was started at a -30 degree temperature, it is a fair possibility that the oil was too thick to travek theu the fuel pump fast enough to lubricate the bearings. This, if true, is a very unfortunate occurrence. Experience with this problem where I am , when it gets really cold, and no block heater is plugged in, usually results in the bearings starving for oil. Without hearing the noise, any kind of knocking, coupled with the oil light being on is a very bad sign that the engine has encountered some internal damage due to lack of oil pressure. Apologies, but any time the engine is started up at -30 with no block heater assistance, almost always results in oil related problems. Sorry.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer