Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

All of a sudden our power windows and door locks all stopped

Customer Question
Hi, All of a sudden...
Hi, All of a sudden our power windows and door locks all stopped working on our 06 Tacoma, but the door locks still lock/unlock with the key fob. Any ideas?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
1/11/2016
Toyota Mechanic: MDT-89, Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
MDT-89
MDT-89, Auto Mechanic

Hello... Lets see what we can get figured out. Did you check all fuses? Is there any other components not functioning?

We looked at the door lock fuse, but it was fine. Didn't check all the others as we figured it must be something that is with the door locks and windows since they all stopped working at the same time suddenly. Nothing else electrical related seems to be malfunctioning.

ay sounds good. There are a handful of fuses that bring up the most concern to me. 7.5 ECU-B fuse, 10 IGN #2 fuse and of course the power fuses for both the door lock and the window. I would ensure those are good first.

Where are the 7.5 ECU-B fuse and 10 IGN #2 fuse located? We'll check all of the fuses out tomorrow.

Secondly we must keep in mind how both of these particular circuits operate. The both require the master switch on the driver door to be functioning for any other switch to operate. With that being said I would go after that master switch second ensure it has a good power and ground.

7.5 is in the engine room fuse box and the others are in the fuse and relay box behind the drivers kick panel.

One last question...how do I get to the engine room fuse box? Where is that located? Thanks!

It is around the battery area. It has a cover with the fuse locations on the bottom side so it can direct you to the correct fuse. I hope that helps and good luck. If you have any more questions I am willing to help out. Thank You!

You should be able to remove the coin box on the drivers kick panel to get to the other fuses. Again I hope that helps.

Checked all the fuses...all are good. Is there a way to check the master switch or would it be better to just replace it and see if that fixes things?

If you have a voltmeter available there are a handful of steps. First there is a solid red wire should be pin #7 or #9 depending on your exact vehicle. That is one of your main power wires. Next there is a white wire with a red stripe that supplies power to your door lock switch that you can check for power as well. But you are correct the easiest way is to just switch it with a known good switch. I hope that helps.

Don't know if this helps with anything, but I just took off the master switch panel and pushed the wires in to see if it might just be a loose connection. When I did this, it made the passenger door lock switch lock and then quickly unlock the doors when I'd press the lock button on that door. Nothing happened still with the driver's side switches nor the rear window switches.

It began locking and unlocking on its own? Only the passenger door lock correct not the window? I would even attempt to disconnect the harness at that master switch to see if your problem goes away. I do think that we are headed in the right direction we just need to check for power at those master switch wires.

Just tried disconnecting the master switch harness and reconnecting it. Nothing changed. So I currently have the passenger door lock switch that will work (I realized I had the driver's door open and keys in the car last time which was causing it to lock/unlock right away to keep me from locking the keys in, not anything to do with the switch!) but none of the window switches or driver's door lock switch. Would the driver's side master switch set not working still allow the passenger door lock to work but not the windows? Seems a bit odd! Thanks so much for all your help!

Yes correct. That is because the master switch controls all functions to the power windows. But the door lock functions have there own circuits from the main body ecu.

I'll get a master switch ordered tonight and hope that helps! Thanks so much for your help!

Your welcome. Good luck and hope it all works out!

Hello were you able to get the locks functioning properly?

MDT-89
MDT-89
MDT-89, Auto Mechanic