Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My Toyota corolla 2004 would not start, removed positive…

Customer Question
My Toyota corolla 2004...

My Toyota corolla 2004 would not start , removed positive cable from battery, reconnected and was able to start, the other day had the same problem moved shifter from park to neutral back to park and was able to start. the battery might be becoming weak I have not had it tested.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The panel lights all came on when trying to start, key switch turned properly,i had been disconnecting positive when going out of town. about 6 months ago had the headlights come on automatically and mechanic replaced a relay or module not sure have not had this problem anymore.

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes ,I am on a motel computer.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
1/11/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Corolla.

Did the battery connection look clean (no corrosion) and tight when you disconnected the battery?

How old is this battery?

Is the starter the original to the vehicle?

Battery connection looked good, battery is 1year old and a cheap Walmart battery, the starter i don't know i bought it 1year ago.

I see. Now when you have started it in the past, have you ever heard just one click per turn of the key? Like you turn the key and click, then you turn it again and it started?

Did u get my last response.

No i have never had the 1 click then and then turned key more and it started.

Ok, that is good news as it will most likely rule out the starter. Is there an autoparts store located near you?

Ok, go ahead and stop in tomorrow and let them test the battery/charging system. This will most likely be just just a battery issue and if it is, they can put one in there for you. If by some chance that the battery checks good, then we would need a repair shop to check out the starter itself.

I strive to give Excellent Service and if you would please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), I would appreciate it and am here to help as much as needed.