Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

87 toyota pickup I have no signal to the injecters

Customer Question

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your question. I'm DJ.

Do you have power at the red-black wire that goes to the injectors?

Did this happens suddenly or has it been an ongoing problem?

Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

Has any work been done to the engine recently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No power and I just got the truck it did not run when I got it replaced fuel pump and line no signal to cold start injecter are the injecters
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

I would try swapping the EFI relay with the starter relay. If the EFI relay is bad, there won't be any power to the injectors or the fuel pump.

The starter relay is in the fuse box under the dash on the driver's side. The EFI relay is in the fuse box under the hood.

Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

If the EFI relay is bad, the starter won't engage after you do the swap. Then you'll know for sure that the relay is bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will start with starter fluid but won't run
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced it I have power to fuel pump
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

OH,

That's a different problem. Try jumpering the two terminals in the round connector on the driver's side, by the firewall.

Give me a minute to find a picture. But you can use a piece of wire or a paper clip bent into a U shape.

Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/classic-t4rs/158544-1986-toyota-4-runner-starting-issues.html

Scroll down till you see the red truck and the guy holding the connector. That's the one we need to jumper.

Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

Let's see if it starts and runs.

Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to be off line for the next couple of hours so I'll put your question back into the expert pool. That way you're not delayed waiting for me.

If the truck starts with starting fluid, it's got spark and compression and it doesn't have fuel.

Putting the jumper in place will bypass the the air flow meter and the circuit opening relay. This will make it so that the fuel pump runs whenever the key is in the RUN position. You should be able to hear the pump when you turn the key on.

If it starts with the jumper in place, then we know it's either the circuit opening relay or the air flow meter. There's more testing we can do to figure out which one.

If it doesn't start, then the injectors aren't firing. The most common cause for this is a bad ground. The ground is located in the middle of the intake manifold. It's very common to leave this disconnected when engine work is done.

The injectors get power whenever the key is in the RUN position. They are turned on and off by switching the ground side. So if that ground on the intake manifold isn't good, they won't fire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no round connector coming out of the fiewall on my truck
Expert:  cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

Have you been able to check the integrity of the ground on the intake?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a ground on the intake

yes, but have you tested it to be sure it is a good ground, take a meter and connect to the negative side of the battery with one lead, and touch the ground on the intake with the other lead, with meter set on 20 volts ,reading should be less than .05. if not corrosion has occurred between the dissimilar metals.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will check it and get back with you

Let me know