Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Change water pump, removed alternator and disconnected

Customer Question
battery. Put everything back together...
Change water pump, removed alternator and disconnected battery. Put everything back together and now it idles rough but engine runs smooth at higher RPM. Code P0010 came up. Any Ideas on why it idles rough?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/9/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 year ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, the code is for a malfunction of the VVTi oil control valve located in the cylinder head near the alternator, it has a connector with a couple of wires on it, make sure the connector is not damaged. A common mistake is to pry against it to move the alternator, this can bend the valve or otherwise damage it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your response.... it started running good now after driving around for 30min or so.

Ok, lets hope it's ok now, it may have taken a little time to build oil pressure back up to get the VVTi working correctly, clear the code and let's hope that's it. Good luck and thanks again for using our site.

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician