Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a strange question. I have a 2002 tundra limited 4X4

Customer Question

I have a strange question. I have a 2002 tundra limited 4X4 with Big V8. Of course the problem is heat related and intermittent.
Plus it is not throwing any check engine light or throwing any codes. It started about 7 or 8 months ago. It is not getting progressivally worse or improving. It does not do this when it is cold. Once the car has been running for a while and when not given sufficient time to cool off it feels like it is missing(bucking a little at low rpms) but only when it is in gear!! If I place the car in neutral you don't feel it and it does not appear on the tach that it is missing. Once again it only does this when it is hot. Never does it when I start the car in the am, plus once it is up to speed it is fine. I have in the last year previous this starting I changed the plugs, ignition coils, Fuel filter, air filter, Tranny fluid, all the differential and transfer case fluids. So I am at a lose, It would be nice if it would either get worse or stop or at least send me a diagnostic code. Thanks for help if you have any thoughts on the matter. Arnold
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In allot of cases if you have one or more fuel injectors that are not atomizing properly this will cause this fault here.I have had to clean several fuel injectors before in the past to correct a fault like this and this usually wont cause a fault code to set or turn on the check engine light as it is a slight misfire only at low speeds/rpm's.If you have not added injector cleaner to the fuel tank or had the injectors cleaned I would have this done to see if this resolves the fault here.

Also the engine and transmission mounts should be checked to see if any are found worn or damaged in any way needing replaced as this will cause this as well here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete I had the same thought this car has 175,000 miles and all the major components are original. However, I did add a can of Seafoam injector cleaner in the gas tank which produced no change. Also, if I had a bad engine or tranny mount I would think it would appear when it was cold as well. Remember this problem only occurs when the drive train is hot, only when it is in gear and only at low RPM's and does not continue ones it is rolling down the road. When the problem occurs if I put it in neutral and run the rpms up and down it purrs like a kitten. So it is not clear to me how a dirty injector would produce this problem only under those conditions. For my own edification could you elaborate further, thanks. Arnold
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

In some cases carbon build up in the throttle body can cause an issue like this here as well as the injectors still.If one or more injectors once they warm up slightly start to atomize incorrectly at low speeds this can occur then when you rev up the engine this may clear out the injectors somewhat and allow proper operation for a period of time.Both of these can cause this here.

I would clean the throttle body bore and bore plate if you havent yet and if this is o.k. it would be a good idea to have the injectors professionally cleaned.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I will give that a try. It seems sensible. I don't think they ever been cleaned.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete