Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Dayle, use a Toy640 oil filter wrench to attempt to take the

Customer Question
Customer: Dayle, use a Toy640...
Customer: Dayle, use a Toy640 oil filter wrench to attempt to take the oil filter off of a 2011 highlander. I could not get the wrench to turn the filter and now it is stuck on the filter housing. Any recommendations of how to get it off?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The toy640 wrench seems to be made of aluminum and the Toyota tech that last changed the oil must have over torqued the housing back on. Now I can't get it off.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I got it off. I got it off and knitted a sweater in the time you took to respond. Response time was very slow. Charge me the $5.00 and I am done.
1/2/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Dj, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your question. I'm DJ.

I hate it when some idiot over torques an oil filter.

Here's the things that I've done over the years in order of what works best.

Big pair of Channellocks. Try to get them on the rolled edge up against the block.

Use a big screw driver (not a chisel) and tap on the edge of the oil filter next to the block. Like this ___O You just have to get it to move a bit, then you can turn it with the oil filter socket or the channel locks.

If that doesn't work, drive the screw driver right through the oil filter and turn it. It will spew oil so get your pan underneath it.

There's different types of oil filter wrenches. The straps ones sometimes work when the socket types won't. They work with a ratchet handle and the more you crank on the handle, the tighter they get on the oil filter. I've had good luck with these.

There's also ones with a metal strap and a lever, but I haven't had much luck with those.

Then there's always C4, but it's so hard to get enough.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions on this or if there is anything more I can do to help you.

DJ

Dj
Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician