Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2000 Toyota 4runner 2.7 liter starts no problem called after

Customer Question
running for a while it...
2000 Toyota 4runner 2.7 liter starts no problem called after running for a while it doesn't want to start I can splash water on the outside of the engine and it will start
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
12/31/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

One common component that can act up like this here and is very common is the crank sensor itself.It sends the crank position signal to the engine computer and the computer uses this signal to operate spark and fuel properly.This sensor can cut out after the engine has ran a bit and cause this here.Then usually as the vehicle sits and cools the sensor will cool or when splashing water on it it will cool and allow restarting until it acts up again.This sensor is located on the side of the engine block on the drivers side as seen here and can usually cost around $100 for a new sensor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wm365qjf4kp0xvn/crd-12-31.gif?dl=0

From what you have described here this sounds like the cause needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician