Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I just changed the oil in my girlfriends 06 toyota corrolla.

Customer Question
i have change oil multiply...
i just changed the oil in my girlfriends 06 toyota corrolla. i have change oil multiply on many vehicles so i know what im doing. So we drained the oil and got about 3-3.5 quarts out of the engine, considering that we didnt remove the filter it seemed normal. when we put the about the same amount of oil we took out back in. After checking the dipstick it was wicked high. So i double checked the manual and it says the car takes 4 to 4.5 quarts. so being on the safe side i removed oil to be safe. Took out about a quart and the oil was still very high. The engine sounds fine so i took it up and down the neightborhood real quick for about 30 seconds and everything seems fine. i still didnt like the oil level so i want to drain more to see if the level drops but when i removed the plug again almost no oil came out? any ideas on whats happening
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
12/31/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 1 year ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Without looking at this car in person, I cannot tell you for certain, but, when we have customers with this complaint, we usually find sludge in the oil pan. If you are mechanically inclined, I would pull the valve cover off and look for a thick greasy substance that is caked in the camshaft area. If there is sludge under the valve cover, there is def sludge in the oil pan. The pan will need to come off to clean this out. I would not wait around on this, if there is sludge in the pan, and you have the incorrect level of oil in the pan, you run the risk of starving the engine of oil which will damage it.

What is happening here is the sludge will cause a higher reading on the dipstick, because the sludge is taking up space in the pan. This acts like a quart of oil that is still in the pan.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
to do that what are the steps i would need to go though to properly remove the oil pan.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is that a sludge remover that i should put in to help break it up before i go in the engine

You need to raise the front of the car off of the ground, preferably on a hoist. Ramps are not safe. you need to raise the car an use blocks to hold it up. DO not rely on a jack. You can and will get iunjured if the car is not safely raised.

To remove the oil pan, you will need to remove the front exhaust pipe. You will need a new exhaust pipe gasket when you put it back together. Once the pipe is off, remove all of the 10 MM bolts that holds the oil pan to the block. Then, with a wide edged pry tool. pry the pan off gently, breaking the RTV glue seal. Once the pan is off, clean the pan out with solvent (kerosene works well). Also clean the oil pickup screen if it is impacted with the sludge. THere are chemicals that 'claim' to remove sludge. Do not wast your money, none of them work. Sludge is nothing more than thick grease. The only thing that removes it is a solvent. Solvents do not lubricate. You could burn the engine up. Pull the pan off and scrape the sludge out with a putty knife. Clean the cam area out too BEFORE you put the pan back on.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i will have to give this a try when i can. thank you for the help

You are very welcome. Remember to clean all of the silicone glue off of the block and the pan when you reinstall it, making sure no oil is present on the sealing surfaces. If there is oil anywhere, the pan will leak.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert