John Bryant
John Bryant,
Experience:  Owner & class A mechanic at Excel Tech Mobile Repair Corp.
60169151

2009 toyota camry starts runs seconds then stalls like no

Customer Question

2009 toyota camry starts runs for 2 seconds then stalls like no fuel.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  John Bryant replied 1 year ago.

Hello Robert my name is***** you checked for spark form the coils after the ignition switch returns to RUN position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO BUT I HAD A CODE FOR IT

If you are loosing power to the coils there will be no code you have to visually inspect for spark or test the coil connector for + after the the key is returned to the RUN position. Please send me the engine information and I will get you a link for the correct wiring to the coil connector OK.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THIS IS A 2009 TOYOTA CAMRY 2.4 LITER. THE COILS ARE WORKING EVEN AS IT DIES OUT THEY KEEP WORKING.

Hi Robert, sorry I stepped out. Do you have a fuel pressure tester at your disposal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO BUT I PUT A NEW PUMP YESTERDAY IS THERE A FUEL PUMP RELAY I CAN;T FIND IT.CAN YOU TELL ME.

The first thing you have to do is varify a loss of fuel pressure. If the fuel pressure drops after startup than it is an electrical problem possibly the fuel pump relay/ignition switch/ECM. Hope that gets you going in the right direction. Let me know if the pressure drops below 30psi while running OK.

You should also listen to the base of the fuel injector with a long screw driver there should be a steady clicking sound while it is running.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK WERE IS THE FUEL RELAY LOCATED.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the link that I can see wire diagram for fuel pump

I am working on it just give me a little while OK

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK

Hi Robert They do not make this too easy to find. I am still working on give me a bout 1/2 hr and I'll supply the link or location. It's not really a good idea to just replace parts thoug without proper diagnosis. You really should check the fuel pressure to verify it is dropping.

There is a main relay in the fuse box that functions as the fuel pump and EFI relay. I will attach the location in about 1 hour OK

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok

Hi Robert, The circuit opening relay (fuel pump relay) is located inside the left under dash fuse box and is not serviceable. So pull the rear seat bottom cushion and get to the fuel pump access to unplug the fuel pump.

I have a question for you. Will the engine stay running at part throttle, in other words with your foot on the accelerator?

SERVICE SPECIFICATIONS: 2AZ-FE FUEL: SERVICE DATA; 2009 MY Camry

SERVICE DATA

Fuel pressure = 304 to 343 kPa (3.1 to 3.5 kgf/cm 2, 44.1 to 49.7 psi)

Fuel pressure : at fuel pressure remains for 5 minutes after engine has stopped147 kPa (1.5 kgf/cm 2, 21 psi) or more

Fuel injector Resistance at 20°C (68°F) = 11.6 to 12.4 Ω

Injection volume = 76 to 92 cm 3(4.6 to 5.6 cu in.) per 15 seconds

Difference between each injector = 16 cm 3(0.98 cu in.) or less

Fuel drop = 1 drop or less per 12 minutes

Fuel pump Resistance at 20°C (68°F) = 0.2 to 3.0 Ω

I am sorry Robert I don't know why the program opted out on you. I was wondering if the vehicle continues to run if you hold the throttle partially open? Also the circuit opening relay is a part of the fuse box in the engine compartment not under the dash but it is not serviceable without replacing the entire fuse box assembly.