Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 30+ years in automotive repair.
10906483

I purchased a 2007 Toyota Solara recently. Last night both

Customer Question

I purchased a 2007 Toyota Solara recently. Last night both high beam light bulbs exploded at the same time. The glass from the bulbs was in the lens. The halos were not damaged. No fuses blown and new bulbs seem to work ok. Is this going to be a recurring problem ? What is the cause?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your question. I'm DJ.

If the bulbs are lit up and even the smallest drop of water touches the bulb it will blow to pieces. The light bulb is extremely hot when it's lit, and the difference in temperature shatters the glass.

Water gets in to the headlight because air around the bulb gets heated and expands. The air is pushed out the vent hole. But when the light is turned off, the air cools and it sucked back in through the same vent hole.

The lens is usually cooler than the air, so moisture condenses on the inside of the lens and collects in the light.

You can replace the lights and still have the same problem.

The best way to resolve this is to use a hair dryer and cook out the lights when you see moisture building up inside them. I just set the hair dryer on a stool, point it at the light, let it run for 20 minutes then switch to the other light.

The heat will dry out the light. You might have to do this once or twice a year. I live in Portland Oregon, so it's a common problem here.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions on this or if there is something more I can do to help you.

DJ

Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

I didn't hear back from you. Is this the information you were looking for or did you have something else in mind?

DJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems odd to me that both hi beams would go at the same time. It was on a flat, straight road, after driving with hi beams on almost constantly for a couple hrs. Could there be another reason. A friend of mine thought it might be aliens . Lol
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

Aliens are not bothered by bright lights. But zombies certainly are. But zombies don't have the ability to knock out your headlights. So the only thing I can think of is that the zombies and the aliens are working together. If that's the case, we're all screwed.

There really isn't another logical explanation. The lens isn't broken. Even if there was an overvoltage problem, it would just burn out the lights but not make them explode.

Another cause for bulbs exploding is if they get fingerprints on them when they are installed, but normally they will pop within the first few minutes once you turn the lights on.

Were you driving near any military bases or Area 51?

DJ