Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

My 2008 sienna van with a 3.5 stop running while driving

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** my 2008 sienna van with a 3.5 stop running while driving
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: not much just quit low compression timing chain are it tack
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not much just quit while driving has no compression
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why havnt I got a response
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Sienna.

What does "timing chain are it tack" mean?

Are you the vehicle owner or a repair shop?

What repairs or maintenance have you performed recently

Did this just happen all of a sudden or was there a warning leading up to this "died while driving" concern?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the chains all three are still tight my moms car try to fix it in my garage none timing was done 4000 mile ago just quit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did compression check on front 20 lbs I have valve covers off

Why was the timing done 4000 miles ago?

The 20psi compression is a clear indication that something very bad/major happened to this engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they did it when they installed new motor last on broke a rod I have new timing chains from Toyota dealer every thing under timing cover was going to put them in but no chains are off sprokets
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess your not going to be able to help me ill wait for timing book from Toyota to see if motor jump time some how I have done timing belts before never chain

Who is they? The dealer did the work?

The timing chains being tight means very little at this point. Can you tell if the engine is in time or not?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure I turn motor over to what I though was timing marks an crank an cam marks line up no dealer did not install timing I ordered book on timing marks so if I do need to install new chains

The next step for you is to verify that the engine is either in time or not. After that, then you will need to either put it in time or tear the engine apart and see if any of the valves are bent that may be causing the low compression.

Does this make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you answer why it quit an why if chains are tight it has nothing to do with why it stop running

From the information you have given me, it sounds like the timing jumped or some of the valves are bent. I cant 100% for sure and you wont know till you check timing and then take the engine apart.

Does this help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok no way for valves to be bent they don't touch if chain jumps I think why no compression

Ok then that sounds like a plan. Please ask more of me as you need to when you start repairing this. I am here to help as much as I can. Please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars) I strive to give Excellent Service.