Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 2000 celica GT. 1ZZ-FE engine. It needed a new

Customer Question
I have a 2000 celica...
I have a 2000 celica GT. 1ZZ-FE engine. It needed a new tranny. Removed the battery, Ecu, air filter assembly and the wiring harness to the fuse box. Removed the tranny thru the drivers side. Replaced the clutch, tranny and hooked everything back together. Car ran great before I did this. Now, it turns over, but I have no spark. It has the VIP security system. I have checked grounds, fuses, relays and everything I could think of. I have no power to the coils. Power to the fuses is fine. I have even replaced the ECU with a good one and no different one. There are codes for mass air flow and idle control. There are hooked up and I cannot clear the codes. I cannot hear the fuel pump when I turn on the key, but I jumped the relay and hear it working. I am out of ideas.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
12/19/2015
Toyota Mechanic: MDT-89, Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
MDT-89
MDT-89, Auto Mechanic

Hey let me see if there is a way I can help... Do you have more details on the DTC'S present and maybe a little more information you can provide on what test you have ran to get it checked up?

I am away from the vehicle and will pull the codes and send them to you. Question? There is a blue data port with a cap in the ecu box. I have the cap off. I noticed going to work today that the cap has several metal pins in it that seem to connect. Is the cap important to be on? I am just baffled.

I would definitely get that cap on just incase it has anything to do with your starting problem. I will also do some research to get you some better information on that.

Would it be safe to say that if I am able to pull error codes, the ECU is working, or are they stored elsewhere? I am heading out to pull codes and see if the cap made a difference. I really appreciate the help

If you are able to pull codes it means that some functions of the ECU are operating and mostly your communication lines. Do you still have the new ECU installed or did you put the old one back when it made no difference? Also because it happened after the transmission replacement I would follow the possibility of something being undone rather than something else happened to go wrong. I would prefer to put the old ECU in if possible.

I did put the old one back in. It ran great when I pulled it in and removed the negative from the battery. These are the codes I am getting,P0100
P0101
P0505
P1300
P1305
P1310
P1315I had no codes before taking out the trans. I left the engine in the car and removed the trans out the drivers side. To do that, I had to drop the trans side of the engine some to get the trans out. I have checked the ground wires I know about. There are two on the top of the trans and one on the head that goes into the wiring harness by the coil packs. I have checked every connection twice. It is like it is in safe or imobilze mode. It has the RS 3200 VIP alarm system but my son lost the fob. When I lock the door with the key, the alarm light comes on and then begins to flash like I think it should. I have even hooked up a jumper cable negative from the battery to the block in case I had a bad ground. I put another to the frame. Do I need a remote to set the alarm? Do you think it could be in theft mode? I noticed I did not hear the fuel pump when I turn on the key. Usually I think I hear it for a few seconds. I jumped the relay and it pumps fine. I have checked every fuse. Everything seems to work fine, except the engine.

Okay so lets see what we can figure out with that... Those codes are related to both the mass air flow sensor and ignition coils. So when you start your engine I am assuming it just cranks.

That's correct. Good compression, I take all together and tightened. All vacuum hoses on. No spark or fuel pump

Can you check to see if you have any fuel pressure when you crank the engine? You said that sometimes you can hear the pump come on but you need to know that we have pressure. If you don't have a gauge then you can disconnect the fuel line and see if you have fuel coming out as you crank( be careful as fuel may spill out).

Did that and it is normal. I am sure it is in good order. Filled up a water bottle quickly. Before I found no spark, I had put a little gas in the intake. Checked the fuel flow after that. When that came out good, I checked the spark. I have not checked to see if it flows as I crank the engine.

Okay if you are filling up a bottle I am sure it is in good condition. Now what about the IG2 fuse and the IG2 relay? Those two are very important for your spark and injector operation...

I have power to the IG2 relay and when I put it back in, there is a click. I do not have power to the IG2 fuse. I have power to the EFI relay and EFI fuse. I have power to the EFI2 fuse but not to the EFI1 fuse. All tested with the key on. Tried test with both brains.
Are,there any jumper test to be performed? Finding a manual for this thing is non-exist.
Could the alarm be disabling this?
Ok, there is power to everything. My son was testing and not putting the probe down enough. Still pulling the same codes. Cannot clear the codes.

Okay so knowing that those fuses have power it gives us a good Idea of what of what our next step is. In my opinion there are a couple sure options. It is possible that the components themselves are faulty, which I doubt because the DTC's are pointing to ignition coils, mass air flow and IAC valve. Next there could have been an a short in the related circuits during the repair that may cause a lack of power to those circuits. Finally I think the most possible is the wire harness got stretched during the Transmission removal and is causing the problem to occur. We will need to inspect individual wires from ECU to component and take it step by step.

The ECU was removed and the wiring harness was disconnected from the fuse box and laid on the engine. I am very sure everything was off and not damaged, but I will begin looking. I noticed two fuses are loose. They do not stay in. I am heading to get one out of the salvage yard. One is the IG2 fuse. Where should I begin

Okay if it fits loose you would have to check the tabs on the actual fuse box. That is also another strong possibility. That is why checking for power wire by wire to the actual component is a good next step. You can determine if there is actual voltage to it. You may have to find a way to pinch those tabs in so you can insure that both fuse tabs are getting good contact.

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician