Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

I filled my 1978 with regular 87 octane gas by mistake..it

Customer Question

I filled my 1978 with regular 87 octane gas by mistake..it runs on 91. I notice it runs sluggish. Am I ok to drive out this tank of gas and return to the 91 octane? Thanks for your help and happy holidays.
Cliff Hawthorne
Discovery Bay, Ca.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean 1978?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I wrote..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want any free trials to anything..an answer to my question would be fine. thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let's just forget this. Cancel my request..why make it so hard and charge money?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

You have only made a deposit to your just answer account. You need to understand that people make typo mistakes and is extremely unusual to see something that old and a question for that. To answer your question specifically provided the car is in good condition and the engine is in good condition and you're getting no engine predetination or knocking/pinging on hard acceleration the 87 octane will not hurt the engine. If the EGR valve was not functioning properly and you had 87 octane you might get some slight pinging or predetination.