Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 20055 toyota corolla and its tailights and prndl2

Customer Question

Customer: hey i have a 20055 toyota corolla and its tailights and prndl2 after replacing the fuse it blew twice, now my car wont get out of park.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: like? i just had it inspected yesterday and everything was working fine
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please press the brake pedal and see if the brake lights come on. We will move forward after your report back if they light up or not. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried that multiple times

Please advise if the brake lights illuminate when you press the brake pedal. This is critical

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't til luminaire the brake pedals

You have more than one problem here. If the brake lights do not illuminate, there is no power to the unit that allows the shifter to unlock which is located under the center console. Pressing the brake padal not only activates the brake lights, it sends power to the solenoid unit which retracts. This allows the shifter to come out of park. If your tail lights are nto working too, and blowing fuses, I suspect a wiring fault, corrosion at the wire connector form the trunk harness to the taillamps, or, if you have a trailer harness attached, to light up the taillights on a small trailer, this wire harness may be corroded and shorting out. The first thing we need to do is pull the Brake fuse The brake fuse is the center fuse in the bottom row. Let's pull it out and examine it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i pulled the brake fuse which is a 15 watt correct?

correct. Both the Tail and Brake fuses are 15 amp

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i need to pull both?

Yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should they both be blown
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can i get text messages

I am sorry, this service does not interface for text.

They are probably blown.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm checking the fuse now... Should I replace them if they are

If they are blown, they blew for a reason. If the new fuses blow too, we have a short circuit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The new fused blew as well. But only one fuse was blown to begin with

The brake fuse blew?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Number 18 on the diagram is blow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The parking and control is working
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only one that isn't even a the one that lights the prndl2 and taillights

I dp not understand what you just said. Please identify which fuse was blown...The center one in the bottom row or the one to the left of the center one in the bottom row. Also, please advise if your taillights work or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My tail lights do not work the break fuse was not the one that was blown the fuse that was blown it was called tail 1 my tail lights do not work the brake fuse was not the one that was blown the fuse that was blown it was called tail 15a this controls the tell lights license plate light instrument panel lights and instrument cluster lights
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My tail lights do not work the fuse that blue and the diagram was number 18 called tail 15a it controls the taillights the license plate lights instrument panel lights instrument cluster lights

Ok. You have a short circuit at the taillamp wire connectors, inside the taillamps where the bulbs fir, or the abovementioned possibility of a trailer harness issue is the cause of the fuse blowing. The fuse blows because you have electricity flowing directly to a ground. The fuse is there to protect the wires form melting when a short circuit occurs. The next step would be to locate the cause of the short circuit. The first thing is to determine if you have a trailer harness. This is the most common cause for the fuse blowing. If not, open the trunk and locate the wire connections for the taillamps. Disconnect both wire connectors and then fit another fuse. if the fuse does not blow, you have isolated the problem to the taillamp assemblies.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you send a picture of the connectors or describe where they are

Inside the trunk. You need to take the inside trunk soft trim loose to see where the taillamps fit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anymore details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like the bulb? Or what
Want a picture ofnit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That?

Yes. Unplug all of those connections and refit a new fuse.

Does this car have a trailer wire? And, has this car ever been in any kind of collision that required body work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it's not been in a collision or have a trailer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What color fittings or connectors am I removing

Unplug the wire connector with the green, the black and the white wire. Grasp the tan bulb socket and twist it counterclockwise. Remove the bulb from the socket. Both sides

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are pulled and the new fuse is fitted. What's next

turn on the lights press the brake and see if the fuse blows.

See if your front marker lights come on and the PRNDL light

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuse did blow

Then we have a short in the front lights. We need to disconnect the bulbs from all of the front lights. Most likely, you have corrosion inside one of the sockets. Leave the back wires disconnected for the moment

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I unplugged

Take the bulb Sockets out and remove the bulbs, then retest.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But the front lights work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay if this doesn't work then what

the parking lights? The taillights/running lights are on the same fuse as the front lights. Unless you are calling your brake lights taillights, which is a different thing altogether. You have taillights which come on in the first position on the switch. They stay one when the headlamps come on. If you have a blown fuse, and no taillights, you should not have any front lights either.

If that does not work you could have a bad power distribution unit which is supplying power and shorting the fuse at the same time. This would require the removal of the fuse panel and some rather involved visual diagnosis.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How many lights from the front have to be removed 4

If the front lights are on, none of them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The front lights work. What do I have to do next
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also did I discconect everything correctly in the trunk

You need to remove the bulbs from the tan colored sockets

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Inay... I didn't do that first time around. Anything else because I only have one fuse left

That is it; we need to make sure that the problem is not in the bulb sockets.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuse blew again

The only thing we did not disconnect was the license plate lights. Get new fuses tomorrow and disconnect the plate lights, the connector is inside the trunk lid under the soft trim. If the fuse blows then, you need an pro tech who is good with auto electric circuits. You have a short someplace in this car.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found the extra fuse in the engine compartment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I disconnect these wires

yes, Disconnect those too

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It blew again

You have a pretty decent short circuit on your hands here. If this car was in mu shop I would be pulling the fuse panel out form under the dash and checking the power distribution relay box Other than that, you might have some damage to the wires someplace (rodents are common this time of the year in some areas, we see it a lot in my area). Without seeing the car in person and doing some tests with a tool called a short finder, unless you can find some damaged wires, you are going to need to take this to a pro, or keep looking at the wires until you find the issue. I am not sure I can tell you where to go next, we have looked at the most common cause areas. It is puzzling that the front marker lights come on and the rear marker lights do not. This indicates a cross-circuiting, and that takes us to the fuse panel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay.. I'll touch base with you tomorow

ok