Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2007 tundra won't start. I thought it was the batteries…

Customer Question
Hi, my 2007 tundra...

Hi, my 2007 tundra won't start. I thought it was the batteries so bought new battery and still nothing. there is a click and nothing starts

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I am thinking the engine immobilizer activated somehow. I am trying to find out how to get my truck started. spare keys don't seem to work neither

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Need to get it fixed tonight

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
12/14/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 2 years ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, thanks for posting

A single click when turning the key to start is usually related to a starter problem, the factory engine immobilizer system still lets the engine turn over but not start up if the transponder key doesn't match and besides you have tried spare keys. The clicking noise is the starter solenoid engaging but there is a bad contact between the solenoid and the starter motor. If the battery terminals a tight and clean and the battery is new then i t sounds like the starter needs to be replaced, this is not uncommon on either the V6 or the V8 engine, unfortunately the starter is located under the intake manifold on the V8, I have replaced quite a few of these in the past, it's a big job which involves removing the intake manifold, the starter is bolted to the block st the rear in the center of the engine.