Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
12613057

I have a 98 camry with a 4 cylinder engine. The timing belt

Customer Question

I have a 98 camry with a 4 cylinder engine. The timing belt is being replaced by my mechanic and he says that the tensioner adjustment is maxed out and that the belt will stretch and become loose again. How can he get the correct tension on the belt without being at the maximum limit on the tensioner?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

You will need to get a new tension spring from a dealer if yours has exceeded its limit.

Please let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mechanic has replaced both the spring and hydrolic tensioner as well as the oil seals and the water pump and timing belt. The new tensioner is maxed out in its adjustment.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

The hydraulic tensioner? Are you sure you have the 4 cylinder engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have the 4 cylinder engine. I know the parts breakdown shows no hydralic tensioner, but the mechanic says there is one.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

I would get another mechanic then, there is no hydraulic tensioner on a 4 cylinder 1998 model.

I am going to OPT OUT of your question so you can get the correct information from your mechanic.

Sorry I could not help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible for the new spring tensioner to be maxed out on its adjustment? If so, what is the modification to fix it?
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

Is your mechanic using a genuine Toyota timing belt purchased at a dealer?