Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

My toyota 2006 avalon battery light turn on yesterday along

Customer Question

My toyota 2006 avalon battery light turn on yesterday along with the light that indicates to take to the dealer but then it when off today it came on again I used the car then when I picked up my daughter it didn't want start then
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Avalon.

Is the battery light on now?

Does the car start and drive to be able to get it to the shop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no

The car is having these problems due to the electrical fault that is the alternator. Do you have an appointment scheduled with them tomorrow to get this fixed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It turn off yesterday then back on today along with the light that indicates to take to toyota dealer today I used the car but then it didn't want to start and I had to jump start I took it to the shop but they couldn't take my car when I left the shop my dashboard lights along with the gauges weren't working then my transmission didn't want to shift from first into 2nd luckily I live 3bloks away from the shop

Yes, the alternator is the problem here and needs to be replaced. The alternator is what charges the battery and runs the car when driving. Do you have an appointment with them to get it replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if the alternator doesn't work it would affect the shifting in the transmission
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to reset the computer once I replace the alternator? If so how do I do that

Absolutely, and would cause the check engine light to come on. What is happening is that the alternator isn't providing enough power to run the car and the battery so the car is running of the battery. This will draw the battery power lower and lower til either the car dies or wont start.

Do I have to reset the computer once I replace the alternator?

No, just replace the alternator and then run the car to charge back up the battery. That's it. It's a very simple straight repair that will take about 2-3 hours.

Did you have any more questions or concerns?