Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

96 4runner no start sat days came back no start full tank

Customer Question

96 4runner no start sat for 5 days came back no start full tank good battery no alarm system replaced fuelpump crank sensor cam sensor checked timing on the money plugs good getting fuel spark but no start ecm at diagnostic connector no communication ? any ideas
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I would tart first with making sure the spark plugs are not fuel fouled which can cause a no start condition. If the spark plugs check to be dry and clean and you are sure you have good spark to them as well as proper fuel pressure and injector pulse then the next step would be to run a compression test to be sure you have proper compression. Check this for me and post back with the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not fuel fouled cel on when ignition is on position no fuel pump noise with ignition on only when cranking still no communication with ecu at the obd2 connector and still no self test diagnosis at te1 and em jumper
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
has no fp jumper terminal at self diagnostic box only b+
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
vehicle was running when was parked for 5 days with no issues has 160,000 miles ther is no anti theft or any alarm issues
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Well as you know in order for the engine to start and run you need good spark to the spark plugs, injector pulse, proper fuel pressure and good compression. Have you checked to see if you have all of these?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried 2 obd2 scanners at diag connector shows drop link possible ecu/ecm problem? getting spark/ fuel good cranking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
good compression 120 / timing marks spot on no major replacement parts last couple years replace cam sensor/ crank sensor fuel pump yesterday removed fuel filter slight restriction 10% gas tank clean
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Are you sure your scanner is Toyota compatible? The compression is on the low side at 120 PSI. What about injector pulse, have you checked it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get back with you scanner compatible 1996 up
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay, let me know and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok replaced plugs fuel filter replaced if I remove the efi fuse 15 amp it starts and runs I went to the back under the seat could not hear pump on when koeo pulled the connector off my buddy started it it ran with the connector off the I put it back on b4 it died then it would not idle weird smell `from xhaust ran like crap sputtering backfire and died when you let the throttle go
m
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Neaither one of these thing make any sense, so you saying it will run if you remove the injector fuse and with the fuel pump unplugged. Are you sure the engine is not over fueling?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
koeo pump does not run / cranked it would not start/ pulled pump connecter off/ started plugged connector back on would run but sputtering nox gas smell let throttle off it died felt catalytic converter really hot 2 minutes time seems like a lean run problem
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked the actual fuel pressure?