Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 2009 RAV4. Last night while driving the Battery

Customer Question
light started Blinking intermittently then...
I have a 2009 RAV4. Last night while driving the Battery light started Blinking intermittently then this morning the power steering seems like it is out. The Belt is in good condition and tight.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
11/27/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 1 year ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. I am sorry that you are having this issue. Please allow me to assist you. Anything the battery light flashes, this indicates a voltage imbalance inside the alternator. With that in mind, and the light illuminated on the dash, I would seek to have the alternator output tested. I would expect them them to find that the alternator output is not sufficient. The specified alternator output should be 14.4 volts DC. Anything less than this would require replacement of the alternator. A low output voltage condition would also explain the loss of power steering, as I believe that this model has electric power steering. The recommendation I have for you on this request would be to have the alternator output tested and replace the alternator if the voltage is below the specified 14.4 volts DC.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert