Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Ted tech at chrysler dealer trying to diagnose dtc p1349b I

Customer Question
hi Ted my name is...
hi Ted my name is ***** ***** at chrysler dealer trying to diagnose dtc p1349b I am trying to diagnose by following pinpoint test using all data and using otc scanner and I am struggling
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
11/25/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 year ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

What year and model are you working on and what engine does it have?

What is the mileage on it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the vehicle also sets misfire codes after extended driving but the p1349b is a hard fault. 2001 toyota highlander 3.0L vin. jtehf21a710019050.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
154,458 miles

Let me check a few things and get back to you, has anything been replaced yet?

Have you tested the OCV valve by activating it with the scanner?

What does the oil look like, any chance there is a lot of sludge in the engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
oil looks good and is full I tried turning the ocv valves on or off with otc scanner and i can't find ocv valves tests on scanner. i did find a section where i can turn on and off vvt sol. but it only works with engine not running. the pinpoint test says with vehicle running activate ocv and observe engine speed. The rpm also stays around 2000

Ok, the code is for bank one, near the firewall, the most common faults are loss of oil pressure to the ocv, a bad, ocv or a bad actuator gear. Keep in mind that it can also be caused by the timing belt being off a tooth on the cam sprocket. Try removing the oil control valve and activate it to see if it's even working, I don't know of another way to test it except to use the scanner to activate each bank while the engine is running.

Try switching the ocv from left to right and see if the code goes to the other side.

I have to go offline for about two hours, will check back with you then.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok Ted thank you

I'm back online, let me know if you need anything else.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech