Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

The vsc and trac off light and what looks like an engine

Customer Question
symbol came on. Can...
The vsc and trac off light and what looks like an engine symbol came on. Can drive a long distance before getting fixed?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
11/22/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Highlander.

How does the Highlander drive? Normal or do you experience any drive ability problems?

Have you had it serviced recently?

Do you know what codes may be stored in the computer that caused these warning lights to come on?

Drives fine and had a basic service couple of weeks ago

Thanks! There are a variety of reasons these warning lights can come on. Some of these reasons are serious but also some are not. For instance, the gas cap being loose can cause these lights to come on. You can see that this would not cause any serious problems or a reason why you couldn't drive this Highlander. If it were a more serious issue then you would feel it in the way that the vehicle drives.

One of the things we see most often on these Highlanders is that a small hose used for the EVAP system can become disconnected when someone check the air filter. This is very likely what happened. It's not serious and would just need to be put back on to the line and then the code cleared. This can definitely wait till after the road trip.

Does this make sense?

Just wanted to send a follow up and see if you had this repaired yet? Thanks!

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician