Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

1985 MR2 total rebuild 1600 I am being told that the timing

Customer Question
is off by at least...
1985 MR2 total rebuild 1600 I am being told that the timing is off by at least 14 degrees. It seems to run ok, is it even possible that one cam is off by one tooth or is the distributor off by one tooth or would it even run at 14-24 degrees off? Is there anyway to tell where and how to look?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
11/21/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 1 year ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcoem to Just Answer. The cam off 14 degrees (1 or 2 teeth) would allow the car to run, but it would not run good. The distributor runs off of the cam. If you want to check for a jumped timing belt, set the crank pulley on TDC. Then pull the distributor cap off. Look at the position of the rotor. The end of the rotor should be directly under the number one tower of the distributor cap. Perfectly under it. Not before, not after. Directly underneath the number one tower. If it is not perfectly under the #1 tower, the cam timing is off (which will cause the distributor rotor to be off too). If this is so (not perfectly under #1), you need to replace the belt. Refitting a stretched belt to the proper position is not advised.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert