Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 1982 truck with a 22R engine. When starting I get a

Customer Question

I have a 1982 truck with a 22R engine.
When starting I get a white smoke out of the exhaust, you leave it running for a long time
still no change I tried a rag at the exhaust I don't see oil or antifreeze on the rag,
any idea??? maybe a head gasket!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Anytime you see thick white smoke coming out of the tailpipe, you have coolant getting into the cylinders vai a deteriorated head gasket. The coolant is compressed and during the combustion process, the ethylene glycol ignites causing the white smoke. Thsi really sounds like a failed head gasket.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer