Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Ted, my GF has a Tacoma, not sure which year, which has had

Customer Question

Hi Ted, my GF has a Tacoma, not sure which year, which has had a 5VE-FZ transplanted into it. She is having starting problems in cold weather characterized by a symptom of the choke not working, and also by having to let the truck sit for a minute because when she turns the key after attempted starting, there is no connection to the starter. One of the relays has been jerry-rigged and partially jumped, not sure if it's the starter relay or the EFI relay. I used to be a Toyota line mechanic in the 70's but switched careers. Now I'm just a parts changer. Help!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you; but first, I need to ask a couple questions... When you say the engine mimics that of an inoperative choke, does the engine crank and crank until it starts? Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You have one of the following problems:

weak circuit opening relay (this is what sends power to the fuel pump)

Faulty one-way check valve in the fuel pump

The circuit opening relay powers up to send power to the fuel pump. If it is weak, the contacts will chatter and not send solid power. If the contacts are bad, the fuel pump will not energize and pump fuel.

The check valve issue is much more common. It is there to keep fuel in the fuel lines to the injectors. When the check valve leaks off, all of the fuel in the rails drains back into the tank via gravity. The extended cranking is the fuel pump re-pressurizing the entire fuel system as the injectors open and allow the air in the line out. The fuel will not reach the injectors until the injectors allow all of the air to bleed out. The check valve is built into the fuel pump; in this case, this really sounds like a fuel pump replacement is needed. A fuel pressure gauge hooked to the fuel rail will tell you if this is true; if your pressure drops from 30-32 when the key is shut off to 5 or less in an hour, you need a fuel pump.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer