Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I Have 19880 Toyota pick up 22re engine runs rough at idle

Customer Question

I Have 19880 Toyota pick up 22re engine runs rough at idle wont over rev checked timing chain looks ok when I pinch off return fuel line off seems to run better
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please advise if this 22R engine is carb or fuel injected. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
22 re fuel injected

Thank you for the quick reply. This problem sounds like the engine is starving for fuel; your clamping off the fuel return line is indicative of this. I suspect that you either have a faulty fuel pump (not producing enough fuel pressure). A test with a mechanical fuel gauge would determine this and verify this diagnosis. Measure fuel pressure with the gauge (connected at the cold start injector fuel fitting) should be 30-32 PSI. If you are reading 20-23 psi, you will need to check the fuel pump wire connection (to make sure there is the right voltage at the pump, or, replace the faulty fuel pump.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have fuel pressure gauge but did replace fuel pump with another one it was used I have a spare pick up for parts

How did you check the timing chain?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Installed new fuel filter checked compression on All cylinders 125 psi plus
Checked timing chain aligned marks on gear and chain checked rotor was on #1 crank pulley at o degrees
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine is rebuilt recently but don't know mileage on it. timing chain is tight and tensioner look good

Either your replacement fuel pump is weak, you do not have the correct amount of voltage going to that fuel pump because the Circuit Opening relay is weak. Measure for battery voltage at the fuel pump connections. You need to see exactly whatever the battery voltage is. I would suspect the circuit opening relay might be weak and not sending proper battery voltage to the pump. The circuit opening relay is located in the passenger side of the dash above the kick panel. I would recommend replacement of this if it has never been replaced

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looked but could not find open circuit relay can you describe part for me is it behind the ecm

It is a small box type relay. It is not by the ecm. It is inside the panel that the next to the glove box/passenger side.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found 2 relays by glove box left side one not marked its a 5 prong the other marked heater and ac relay changed out 5 prong relay no change in performance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't find relay

The circuit opening relay is supposed to be up high, like the area with the dash vent on the passenger side. it si not easy to find. If it is OK, Then I would recommend you get a mechanical fuel pressure gauge and an adapter for the banjo fitting on the cold start injector. You need to know the exact fuel pressure before you can move forward. If you have a a spare fuel pressure regulator, you could try changing that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Changed regulator also. I see my description of pick up is 19880 correct is 1988

The C-O relay is in the same place for all of the trucks up to 1991

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found co relay, changed no difference I will have to get gauge to get fuel pressure, if I have same voltage at pump and batt and low fuel pump pressure what next, or if I have the 31-32 pressure what next

If your have the correct voltage at the fuel pump and you have 30-32 PSI of fuel pressure I would be looking at injector issues

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got fuel pressure checked its at 38lbs, checked out injectors found screens dirty, installed new screens and seals, runs good, but during the diagnosis of this problem I messed with timing, now trying to set timing I can't get it to idle down when shorting the two wires in the box.

Jump E1 and TE1 to set the timing. 22RE should be 5 BTDC. If the timing mark does not change, look for vacuum leaks that are causing the idle to stay high.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I jump e1 te1 to set timing the engine doesn't idle down. And I don't find any vacuum leaks.

Look to see if there is carbon buildup on your throttle plate, and the throttle plate stop is not holding the plate open slightly.