Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng, Repaired my own cars and others for 20 years, worked in Formula 1 for 10 years
12772297

Toyota harrier starts fine but stops after 15-20 seconds. If

Customer Question

Toyota harrier starts fine but stops after 15-20 seconds. If I depress the accelarator it just cuts off / stops. Theres no fault engine light on when it runs. The idle air intake valve works fine after cleaning. When engine starts there's a hissing sound when the fuel pump runs. All fuses are ok. Cause?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

this sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time orcould not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and outand the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,

Ideally measurethe pressure at the injectors and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.