Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Ted. My friend has a 2001 Tundra and s running lights and

Customer Question

Hi, Ted.
My friend has a 2001 Tundra and his running lights and dashboard stay lit, dimly, after it is turned off and keys removed.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This is a rather common thing these days on the older Tundras. We see this a lot in the shop. We have found that there is a power distribution center attached to the fuse panel that gets wet (from various sources; windshield leak, sunroof leak, windows left down, poor body sealing after a collision, etc etc etc)...This power distribution center has thin steel wires inside it that corrode over time (because of the wetness). Once the corrosion on the wires grows, it can touch an adjacent thin wire. This causes an electrical circuit to be created (the corrosion can 'power' an adjacent wire). The power distribution is what Toyota calls an "integration relay". It is unique to the truck (option wise). The recommendation I have for this request is to remove the wire connector form the headlamp switch. If the lights go out, the headlamp switch is bad. If the lights stay on, the integration relay needs to be replaced. Note that this is not an easy replacement; the entire fuse panel from under the dashboard needs to be removed to access the integration relay. This takes a good Toyota technician about 2 hours start to finish.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer