Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I was driving around the other day in my 2005 Prius

Customer Question

Hello! I was driving around the other day in my 2005 Prius (~105,000) and noticed I was having some issues with my brakes. I would barely press the pedal and it would jerk to a stop. After driving it around town for maybe 10-15 minutes, the brakes went semi-back to normal, but the ABS, (!), and brake light all came on. Took it to the Toyota dealership and they said it was an issue with the skid control ECU. I ended up buying an ECU online, but I'm not sure if I bought the wrong one or it was defective because it didn't work. Could you perhaps point me in the right direction?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

Did the Toyota Dealer connect to the car with there computer and confirm this ?

Or did they just tell you in general these lights were a pointing to an issue with the Skid control ECU?

If they did plugin and diagnose the issue, what were the code numbers they read from the computer?

You installed the skid control ecu yourself? Did you preform any initialization procedures after replacing it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They did connect to a computer to tell me this. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the codes were. And yes, I did install it myself, but I did not perform any prosecuted after. Once I got the ECU in place, I took the car for a test drive and everything was the same, minus the fact that the SVC light came on. So I disconnected the new ECU and replaced it with the one that came with the car.
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

Would you be able to get the code numbers, they should be on your receipt. However possible it is for the ECU to be at fault I am always reserved about a diagnoses that points to a computer with out first eliminating other possibilities, at first thought with out any code numbers, your explanation lead me to think that it may be the stroke sensor that is mounted to the brake pedal causing this issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not get a receipt. I could most likely call tomorrow and see if they still have that info.