Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Have a 2006 sienna van with a power sliding passenger side

Customer Question
door that is will not...
have a 2006 sienna van with a power sliding passenger side door that is will not open either automatically or by door handle with power door switch in the off position. when you try to open manually nothing happens. When you press the door button the mechanism
under door handle makes noise( and there is some systems movement, was able to pry open door panel partly by handle and observed this) also there is some movement off the door like it is trying to open but the door is still locked or stuck. Have not been able
to remove door panel for further investigation because of location of panel screws in door jamb. what could be the problem? and how do i get door open or remove door panel?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
11/6/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Most common is a failed latch in the door needing replaced.In allot of cases the door paneling has to be forced off which usually damaged the paneling to where it will need repaired or replaced after.Once removed the latch can sometimes be manually triggered to open or a lock smith can open the door then the latch usually needs replaced.I would have this checked/tested further to make sure this is the cause and this may require the panel on the door to be forced off damaging it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Can this question be reposted to see if someone who has worked on these power sliding doors can respond with their input?

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

When you operate the exterior door latch/handle does it have the same resistance or feel to it as the exterior door handle on the other sliding door or does it feel unusually loose?

does not feel loose, but the doors one is powered and the other is manual

Can you hear the drive motor running trying to open the door with the cable? Does either latch try to disengage when you use the push button or either the inside or outside handle?

Motor noise behind handle when you press power door button . Door attempts to open , moves extremedy small amount more like flexes then stops. Door does nothing when you move door handle

There is a small wire/cable that runs along the track/rail that runs along the side the body use a flashlight and look in the rail can you see the drive cable/wire and is it tight and intact? When you say that the door tries to open is it the back of the door that pops out slightly and the front kind of tries but stops?

I will submit a phone consultation offer to you it may be easier to discuss this issue over the phone?

Cable that runs along rear quarter panel is intact. Neither the front or rear of door pops out. Door attempts but motor can not over come lock mechanism.
Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician