Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

1999 Camry won't start but does turn over

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
11/4/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Do you have any history of the car leading up to this current problem were all of these parts thrown at this car because it will not start? Did you run a compression test? When you say you have fuel how do you know that? Are The plugs wet with fuel? Did you run a fuel pressure test?

The car died after coming to a red light and once I got the car home I checked the fuel pump by taking the fuel line loose and checking for fuel pressure there was none so logical the fuel pump was bad. The car has 215k miles so went ahead and changed out plugs and wires as I am unaware of when it was done last. Still had no start but sounded funny so I checked the timing belt and it had teeth missing so I changed that as well since it was broken. There is fuel on the spark plugs.

Do you have any way to run a compression test on all four cylinders? Do you have a picture of the timing belt insulation in the mark so I can confirm the timing?

I have to step out for about an hour I will look at these pictures when I get home and get back to you with more information. I can't tell on my cell phone but is the camshaft oriented with that. Or hole at the 12 o'clock position?

It is oriented with the 0 time mark on the timing cover

Sorry for the delay I was unable to get online last night. 0° on the crankshaft looks good and the picture with the mirror appears to be in time also. That mark is hard to see in the mirror reflection but it looks like it's right on and it should be at the 12 o'clock position on the camshaft bearing cap. That being said at this point we have to assume that is not a timing issue. It is possible that the cylinders are washed down with fuel because when the timing belt jump time it continued to spray fuel into the cylinders while not running. Remove the four spark plugs and clean them then take some oil from my oil can or from a bottle of engine oil and pour an ounce or two into each cylinder. Then with the plugs out of it crank the engine over for about 15 seconds putting some rags on top of the cylinders to catch the oil as it sprays out. This will build the compression around the piston rings. This should then allow it to have better compression when cranking over after cleaning the spark plugs put them back in the vehicle and see if the car will start. If it does you will have a lot of smoke out the exhaust so hold engine RPM up until it clears out. Let me know if this works and let me know if any codes come back in the engine control computer.

Still no start however I have good compression or so it seems in all cylinders anything else it could be

What are the compression numbers? Did you try the oil in the cylinders as I recommended?

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician