Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Have 89 22re pu. Replaced cold start valve starts better but

Customer Question
on morning start catches right...
Have 89 22re pu. Replaced cold start valve starts better but on morning start catches right away but won't catch. Then need to hold starter on for many revolutions and will finally catch but is rough for a minute. Did a full tuneup
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
11/3/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 2 years ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Extended periods of cranking after the vehicle has been shut off for a long period is usually attributable to a lack of fuel and fuel pressure at the fuel rail. When the engine is shut off, there is a check valve built into the fuel pump that 'holds' fuel and fuel pressure at the fuel rail/injectors. When this check valve is faulty, it allows this necessary fuel pressure to dissipate and drain back into the tank. When starting it up after a long period of time, the fuel pump needs to repressurize the system while the injectors bleed off the air that is trapped in the fuel line. This would be common on a vehicle of this age and the original fuel pump. A fuel pressure test would reveal this diagnosis. A mechanical fuel pressure gauge attached to the cold start injector fuel pipe would reveal this. Attach the gauge and start the vehicle up. Ensure there are no fuel leaks at the fitting for the gauge. Shut the engine off... Then read the pressure. It should be around 30 PSI. Leave the engine off and the gauge attached. Check the gauge again the next morning. If the pressure has dropped to zero, you have ascertained that you do not have the necessary pressure in the fuel line to restart it properly. If the check valve is really faulty, you should be able to watch the pressure drop on the gauge right after you shut it off. There is also another possibility, and this would be injectors that are leaking the same fuel pressure into the intake manifold. However, if the injectors are the problem, you will have a raw gasoline odor at the tailpipe on the first 5-10 seconds of cranking (and not starting). An accurate diagnosis is needed here with the gauge. It wwould not be surprising to see the pressure drop off rapidly. If so, the recommendation I have for you on this request would be to replace the fuel pump.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

The fuel pump was replaced by toyota 1200 miles ago will do a fuel pressure check. A month ago one was done and it held pressure. The starting problem is getting worse in the last month After replacing the cold start valve and tune up it was better for a week thx

A fuel pressure test is the next order of business. We have observed 'new' pumps that the check valve is not sealing properly. If the truck runs good all day long, and restarts OK after sitting for an hour or two, the lack of fuel pressure overnight would be the prime candidate for causing this. Thx

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert