Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 2003 toyota camry. there was a bad storm on

Customer Question
saturday and my car was...
i have a 2003 toyota camry. there was a bad storm on saturday and my car was stuck in water. I HAVE HAD IT LOOKED AT AND WAS TOLD THE BARONS IN MY MOTOR ARE NOT SPINNING. WHAT SHOULD I DO
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
11/2/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 2 years ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

It sounds like what they are telling you is that water got into the engine and the engine is seized up. What happens when you try to start the engine? Does it start, is there a clicking noise?

If the engine starts is there any loud noise when running?

there is a clicking noise. the car has not started since it stalled out.
i was told to drop oil pan and fill with oil lubricant to loosen baron in motor. i just want to know do i need a new car.
Hi Mr. Ritter are you there
hello?????
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call + Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello, I'm still here, please stand by for a moment.

sir
im at work we can talk after 5:30

You probably won't need a new car but if water got inside the engine the engine may need to be replaced, if the engine does not turn over the bearings are seized because there was no oil getting to them, you can have the oil pan removed for inspection of the bearings and getting all the water out then put in new oil and see what happens, at this time I can only go by what the repair shop is telling you and I don't know how much water may have gotten in, maybe just drain the water out of the oil pan and all the oil and then trying to start it may help.

should i try this oil lubricant stuff to make barons spin. is that possible
i was told spray wd 40 where my coils and wires are and put lubricant inside motor and let it sit overnight. drain pan after lubricant fill with oil and give a try. should i try or is that a waste of time.

It's worth a try and a lot cheaper than a new engine, the Wd40 removes the moisture from the coils, remove the spark plugs and see if the engine turns over with the starter.

is it possible the barons will spin with oil lubricant

It's possible yes, I don't know how much water got in or how long the engine ran after the water got in, just how deep was the car under water?

About half way the rim

I don't even see how that would cause a problem with the engine, did the engine keep running for a while after that?

No sir it cut off immediately

Ok, I just don't see how water got in the engine if it was only half way up the wheel, have you tried to jump start it with another car?

No sir should i try it.... the battery is not completely dead im getting power bcuz my lights wrk and horn wrk power locks work too

It may not be enough to engage the starter, please try to jump and let me know what happens.

That didnt work. I bought some motor flush should i try that
I just tried jumping it and i keep getting that click noise

Ok, can you rotate the engine after removing the spark plugs and turning the crankshaft pulley with a wrench? Would you like to try that next?

No spin

Ok, I'm sorry but it sounds like the engine is seized, either the pistons or the main or rod bearings, i would advise you to get a second opinion from another shop to confirm this. Once an engine has seized up to this point there is some damage to rotating parts.

i need to replace engine

That would be correct, you may be able to have a repair shop repair it by replacing the bad parts, they would have to make the decision if it can be repaired, there are also used engines available at less cost than a new one.

Is it possible the starter is not connecting.... it was full of water when i took it off and i let it dry overnight and i put it back on but still no fire

Yes, that is also possible if water got into it, can you have the starter tested at an auto parts store? You should be able to rotate the engine by hand using a wrench on the front pulley with the spark p[lugs out, when doing this see if there is any water inside the spark plug holes.

Will do tomorrow can i chat with you tomorrow

Yes, just reply here again.

Ok thanks sir i really appreciate all your help

I am on line most of the day .

Ok im waiting on update i had to wrk todat

Take your time.

i still have not yet gotten the car to crank or start... i was told that my motor was gone at the bottom. And to buy a crankshaft kit and Change all bearings.... is that possible? ??

Yes, that is possible, if that's the case I would recommend that you just get a used engine because there may be other issues than just the crankshaft bearings, buying a crakshaft and bearings may not fix the whole problrm unless the shop that is telling you this is 100% sure that it is the solution.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech