Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I have a 2003 toyota camry. there was a bad storm on

Customer Question

i have a 2003 toyota camry. there was a bad storm on saturday and my car was stuck in water. I HAVE HAD IT LOOKED AT AND WAS TOLD THE BARONS IN MY MOTOR ARE NOT SPINNING. WHAT SHOULD I DO
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for posting

It sounds like what they are telling you is that water got into the engine and the engine is seized up. What happens when you try to start the engine? Does it start, is there a clicking noise?

If the engine starts is there any loud noise when running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a clicking noise. the car has not started since it stalled out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i was told to drop oil pan and fill with oil lubricant to loosen baron in motor. i just want to know do i need a new car.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mr. Ritter are you there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call + Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm still here, please stand by for a moment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sir
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im at work we can talk after 5:30
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

You probably won't need a new car but if water got inside the engine the engine may need to be replaced, if the engine does not turn over the bearings are seized because there was no oil getting to them, you can have the oil pan removed for inspection of the bearings and getting all the water out then put in new oil and see what happens, at this time I can only go by what the repair shop is telling you and I don't know how much water may have gotten in, maybe just drain the water out of the oil pan and all the oil and then trying to start it may help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should i try this oil lubricant stuff to make barons spin. is that possible
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i was told spray wd 40 where my coils and wires are and put lubricant inside motor and let it sit overnight. drain pan after lubricant fill with oil and give a try. should i try or is that a waste of time.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

It's worth a try and a lot cheaper than a new engine, the Wd40 removes the moisture from the coils, remove the spark plugs and see if the engine turns over with the starter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it possible the barons will spin with oil lubricant
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

It's possible yes, I don't know how much water got in or how long the engine ran after the water got in, just how deep was the car under water?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About half way the rim
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

I don't even see how that would cause a problem with the engine, did the engine keep running for a while after that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sir it cut off immediately
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I just don't see how water got in the engine if it was only half way up the wheel, have you tried to jump start it with another car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sir should i try it.... the battery is not completely dead im getting power bcuz my lights wrk and horn wrk power locks work too
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

It may not be enough to engage the starter, please try to jump and let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That didnt work. I bought some motor flush should i try that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just tried jumping it and i keep getting that click noise
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Ok, can you rotate the engine after removing the spark plugs and turning the crankshaft pulley with a wrench? Would you like to try that next?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No spin
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I'm sorry but it sounds like the engine is seized, either the pistons or the main or rod bearings, i would advise you to get a second opinion from another shop to confirm this. Once an engine has seized up to this point there is some damage to rotating parts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i need to replace engine
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

That would be correct, you may be able to have a repair shop repair it by replacing the bad parts, they would have to make the decision if it can be repaired, there are also used engines available at less cost than a new one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible the starter is not connecting.... it was full of water when i took it off and i let it dry overnight and i put it back on but still no fire
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that is also possible if water got into it, can you have the starter tested at an auto parts store? You should be able to rotate the engine by hand using a wrench on the front pulley with the spark p[lugs out, when doing this see if there is any water inside the spark plug holes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do tomorrow can i chat with you tomorrow
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Yes, just reply here again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks sir i really appreciate all your help
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

I am on line most of the day .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok im waiting on update i had to wrk todat
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Take your time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i still have not yet gotten the car to crank or start... i was told that my motor was gone at the bottom. And to buy a crankshaft kit and Change all bearings.... is that possible? ??
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that is possible, if that's the case I would recommend that you just get a used engine because there may be other issues than just the crankshaft bearings, buying a crakshaft and bearings may not fix the whole problrm unless the shop that is telling you this is 100% sure that it is the solution.