Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 1995 Toyota 4runner 3.0v6 2wd. I just replaced the

Customer Question
fuel injectors, which seemed like...
I have a 1995 Toyota 4runner 3.0v6 2wd. I just replaced the fuel injectors, which seemed like a pretty straight forward job. I put everything back together correctly, and also cleaned out the cold start injector while I was at it.
When I tried to start it, it didn't want to start, just kept turning over. After a few minutes of trying, a pretty large amount of fuel dripped out on the ground from the engine area. What could I have done wrong?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
11/2/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 2 years ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If you have fuel dripping on the ground, I would be looking at the cold start injector. Either you have lost one of the copper washers, have two on one side or you reused them over. The copper washers are critical to seal the fuel line to the injector. Secondly, I would be looking for a possible loose connection on the fuel rails

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

I will check that and respond about it as soon as possible. Im going to have to take the plenum off again. Also, I swore I disconnected 2 electrical connections around the throttle body, and I know I reconnected one, but can't remember where the other was. Do you know what electrical connections I would be talking about? I can't seem to find a guide anywhere. Is the car not starting because of the fuel leaking? There isn't an overflow is there if I flooded it trying to start it?

You need 30 PSI of fuel pressure to properly atomize the fuel so it with fire and combust properly. No starting at all indicates not fuel pressure, or, you have a gigantic vacuum leak at the plenum. ALways use a new gasket when fitting the plenum. The throttle body has one electrical connection, the TPS. There are a few vacuum switching valves in that area; perhaps you missed one of those

Do you have a diagram of the connections? would that cause it not to start? also I just checked the cold start injector, I only took off those 2 nuts holding it on, and reconnected tightly. I don't see any sign of fuel leak there. I guess I need to check the fuel lines tomorrow, after I take the plenum off again. How would I know where its leaking from?

A disconnected Vacuum switching valve would not cause a no start. The bigger concern here is the fuel leak. Whether it starts or not, you need to diagnose the cause of the leak. This is most likely the reason for the no start. You may have a pinched fuel line behind/under the plenum.

ok, let me get the plenum back of tomorrow, and I will get back with you. I wish I could attempt to start it and see where the fuel leaks from, but I can't try to start it with the plenum off, Im hoping I can find the leak. Its a pretty good amount of fuel pouring out. Can we continue to chat until this is fixed? I haven't used this service before. Thanks for responding so quick.

You are very welcome. We can continue when you have an accurate diagnosis.

ok thanks, ***** ***** back with you tomorrow afternoon.
I just thought about something too. Do the bolts the hold on the fuel lines have 2 of those copper washers each that you were talking about? I did reuse those. I remember a fuel line on the rear of the fuel rails, the front, the cold start injector line, the the ends of the rails themselves I think. If so, I guess I will pick up some of those tomorrow, do you happen to know the size I need?
I'm about to take the plenum off in the next hour. i want to go match up these washers. does each end of the fuel line take 2, one on each side? thanks.
also, i need new ones right? can't re-use them ?

Yes. You need new ones. They need to match perfectly. You cannot reuse them if they were installed once. They are "one time" use. Reusing them will allow the seal to leak.

ok just got the plenum off. when i took the right fuel rail off, the base of the first injector (that black plastic piece that the injector sits on top of) broke and part of it came out with the injector. do you know what that piece is called?

I think it is called a spacer

Ok, got everything back together, i retightened all the bolts and made sure hey all had the crush washers. Vehicle started, however, its running kinda rough, but only at times, its strange. I let it run for about 5 minutes, and I started seeing a light smoke coming from the valve cover/injector area. Im not sure if that was fuel burning off?? Also, this go around, I damaged a few vacuum lines. The first thing is the EGR vacuum modulator I believe (the ports where the hoses clip on both broke off. Second, the elbow shaped valve on top of the air intake hose broke it was very brittle. Third, the large hose in the front of the engine connected to those tubes coming off the plenum is old and cracked, it connects to some black box thing to the left of the air box. And finally on top of the throttle body there is a curved vacuum thing, i am completely missing that hose and have no idea where it connects. Not sure if it was on there to begin with or not. Would any of these cause rough running, and I'm not sure how to tell if any fuel is still leaking from the injectors or fuel lines because I can't really see down there. Im not sure where to go from here.
oh and i didn't drive because i don't want anything catching on fire, not sure if it can or not but i was being on the safe side

All of these are going to cause a rough idle. You have vacuum leaks. This leans out the mixture.

how do i know if fuel is still leaking lightly possibly? and should i drive it, the smoke scared me.

The only way to tell on this engine is to smell it, or use a flex head mirror to look under the back of the plenum. I would not drive it until you are sure you have the fuel issue takesn care of. A small leak would not show up on a pressure test.

do you know what that valve is on the top of the throttle body I'm talking about? there are 4, its the highest one in the middle /back

There is the vacuum switching valve for the evaporative emission system. This opens and lest fuel tank fumes into the intake manifold.

There is the Vacuum switching valve for the EGR

There is the vacuum modulator for the EGR

And the check valve for the EGR modulator. This is probably the one you are speaking of.

Ok. Well i dont think i haveva fuel leak anymore, however changing these clogged injectors didnt fix the problem im trying to fix. Ive changed the fuel filter as well. First thing in the morning when i start the truck it is hard to start and takes numerous times cranking. But once it starts , its fine fir the rest of the day, it only is hard to start after sitting over 8-10 hours. And the colder itbis outside it gets much harder to start. Winter is coming and is why im trying to solve this. I have a video but it says its too big
Ive also tried turning the key a few times before starting it to see if the fuel oump needed to be primed with no luck. Same result

Replace the fuel pump. You fuel pump check valve is allowing fuel pressure to bleed back into the tank. This causes an extended crank period first thing in the morning. You can easily check this

The key does not prime the pump on this engine. The pump starts when you have engine RPM

Ok, do i need to check anything first or is that the problem? How hard is the pump to replace?

Start the engine.

Let it run for a few moments

Shut it off

crack the cold start injector line loose (wear protective glasses)

Observe the volume of fuel that is forced out.

Tighten the fitting

Restart the engine

Shut it off after 2 minutes

Come back tomorrow morning and crack the cold start injector fitting again. If the fuel does not gush out exactly the same as the first try, you need a pump

Some 4Runners have an access hole under the rear carper/under the rear seats. If so, remove the cover and this will allow you access to the top of the tank. Spray the sending unit bolts with WD 40 liberally and leave it set 24 hours. Then try to slowly loosen the bolts, spraying with wd 40 if they get tight. If no access hole you need to drop the tank

Ok arr you talking about the col start injector attached to the plenum? Or the line to the fuel rail? And how difficult is dropping the tank? I dont have the under seat access

cold start injector attached to the plenum. Dropping the tank is really difficult if you do not have access to a hoist.

Damn yea i dont have a hoist. Also my rpm idle is about 2-300 rpms higher since i change the injectors is that normal? It adles at about 12-1300 in park

Sounds to me like you have a vacuum leak someplace.

Any vacuum leak will cause the idle to increase.

Dropping the tank is hard. Real hard. Especially if you are doing it on the ground or the garage floor.

Ill guess il take it somewhere if thats what needs to be done. Thanks for your help. Can u tell me what the black piece is on the right side of the engine below the throttle body , some cap came off that piece when i was putting the plenum bag on and its definately lost in the engine bay somewhere

That is the throttle arm dashpot. It is there to soften the throttle plate closing when you get off of the gas quick

You would do well to replace that. If dust gets in there (and it WILL), it will hold the throttle open.

The air bleeds itself out as the injectors pulse. No need to bleed it.

Hey, sorry for the late reaponse. Well just had my fuel pump replaced , and i still have the same problem. I dont understand what it could be.
I have replaces fuel filter, injectors, and fuel pump.

You need to do the mechanical leak down test described above. A new pump can have a bad check valve.

Ok i will do this tonight and get back to you

No problem; I am here all weekend

I did the test. However, i didnt see any fuel come out after running for a few minutes, or after sitting overnight. There was no pressure on the cold start injecto fitting attached to the plenum.

I do not understand what you are saying; please clarify.

I started the truck, ran it for a few minutes, turned it off. Pulled out the cold start injector in the too of the plenum, and didnt see any fuel.

You should have fuel pressure at the cold start fuel fitting after shutting the engine off.

Not from the end of the injector, the fitting where the fuel line attaches.

Ok so the end attached to the fuel rail? I need to take the plenum off for this test?
Also, if it doesnt have the same pressure what is the resolution? I just had the fuel pump replaced

No. Don't take the plenum off. Just get to where you can loosen the fuel fitting to the injector,

To do this right you need a gauge that can attach in between the line and the fitting. If you have zero fuel pressure after 10-15 minutes of shutting it off, the new fuel pump's internal check valve is faulty.

How do you get to it without taking off the plenum?? Its under the plenum. Is the chrck valve re-used?? I just got a brand new pump

The check valve is built into the pump. You can also check for pressure at the fuel filter.

Loosen it up, being careful to not get sprayed if there is pressure. 30 psi fuel spraying can get into your eyes

you are saying the the cause of this is probably that the brand new fuel pump has a bad check valve?

If you have no fuel pressure in the fuel line after a few moments of turning the engine off, yes.

Ok ill check that tonight i guess. If this werent the problem, what else could it be ?

Could be several things, but, extended cranking and then it starts, and starts fine thereafter (until the next morning) is classic bad fuel pump.

I'm going to do the test in the morning and I will get back to you

OK

Ok got the plenum off, so essentially if i let the car sit overnight, there should still be full oressure at the cold start fitting on he furl rail when i take it off? Im about to crack the fitting

Correct. Lots of fuel pressure.

Do you have an email or something i can send this video? Its 30 seconds long

You can post it here as an attachment

Says too big
It said its more than 5mb
Any way i can send it. It didnt seem like enough fuel came out to me

Put the video in a file sharing program like DROPBOX and send me the link for the shared file.

Iok im trying to get dropbox. Anyway the fuel pressure didnt seem like much to me comibg out of the cold start injector fitting.

30 PSI is a LOT of pressure. Should spray across the engine

Ok it did not. So does that mean fuel pump is bad that i just got? Also i am getting really poor gas mileage if that means anything. Maybe from cold starting in the morning but im getting like 10 mpg or so. My stupid windshield wipers all the sudden decided they want to be on all the time now after doing this work so i had to pull the fuse. And another weird issue is when my headlights are off, my dash lights turn on when i hit the brake. I dont know what the heck is going on.

I would be inclined to think you have a trailer harness, yes? If so, your harness pigtail is corroded and the brake light is cross feeding to the tail lamp socket.

If you do not have a significant volume of fuel spraying on first startup, your check valve is leaking off.

Poor gas mileage could be the fuel pump is OK and the injectors are allowing the fuel pressure to leak off. This would drop your mileage too. Rare, but it can happen. Before you pull the pump, why not run a can of really good fuel injector cleaner thru the engine? We us a great product called BG 44-K. A bit hard to find (go to BG.com and use the locator feature). Pour the can into the tank and run it; use up the gas as fast as you can.

Ok im confused. I just had a new fuel pump put on , and i have brand new fuel injectors, and a new fuel filter. Im not going to pull the oump, i would be taking it back to firestone that put it on. I seafoamed my truck 2 times before i did all this and it did nothing, so i dont the 44-k will do anything, ive used that on other vehicles. I just want to figure out why cold starting is so difficult for the truck. Also, what do i do about the trailer harness? Replace it ?
Its a brand new delphi fuel pump according to them, i didnt get my old one back by mistake, maybe its possible they didnt even replace it??

Sounds like a bad fuel pump. Or Bad Injectors. Or both. Hard to say without pulling the fuel rails. On the trailer harness, look for corrosion inside the sockets whwre the pins are. Clear out the corrosion with spray brake cleaner.

I just replaced the injectors myself. This porblem was happening before the injectors. Then the fuel pump was replaced. So which one would it be. This isnt making any sense.
Ive pulled the fuel rails 4 times.

There are two ways to lose fuel pressure. Either the check valve in the fuel pump is faulty, and allowing the residual fuel pressure tp bleed off back into the fuel tank, or, the needle seats on the injectors are allowing the fuel pressure to bleed off into the intake manifold. There is the very rare, but certainly a possibility that the tube between the fuel pump and the top of the fuel tank has a crack in it, which would allow the fuel pressure to bleed off. You really need a mechanical fuel pressure gauge to accurately measure the pressure. What you could do is pull the rails and pressurize the system, then look for wetness at the bottoms of the injectors. If you see any, or smell any fuel, they are leaking.

The injectors are not leaking. They were just replaced. We just talked about all of this. Remember i had a fuel leak but took care of it, it was the washers on the lines.

I understand that. We need to know where all of the fuel pressure is going, and that is one of the possibilities. You probably have a faulty pump. It can happen, aftermarket pumps are notoriously poor in quality with regard to low cost.

and when I am talking about injector leaks, I do not mean what you see when they are installed. I am talking about the nozzle end that is in the intake.

I thought tou said the test i did with the fuel
Pressure at the cold atart injector line would let us know if it was the fuel pump or not.

The fuel pump is the usual suspect. 95% of the time New injectors are assumed to be OK and not leaking, altho there is always that possibility.

But if it was happening before the injectors were even replaced , then its very unlikely correct?

yes

a new fuel pump makes me think that is unliekly too, but i guess ill take it back and have them check it out. So no other possibilities?

I would not think so. Take it back and have them do a mechanical pressure test for you to verify the pressure is being lost

Sorry for the late response. I have been having trouble after trouble. Now here is what happened and I can't figure it out. It was very about 40 degrees outside colder than normal the other night. When I went to start the truck, it made like a "clunk" noise when I turned the key like it didn't wanna turn over. Turned the key again, same thing. Maybe it was just because it was so cold and its having trouble with this fuel pump thing I don't know. Then I tried the third time, and it started to turn over like normal and the vehicle started. About 10 minutes into the drive, I realized it was overheating by the temp gauge, so I turned it off, popped the hood, and the front radiator hose was very expanded, the radiator top felt hot (so I didn't open it), and the coolant in the overflow tank was very hot, and bubbling when the tube was in, but when I took the tube out it stopped (must have been from the air pressure of the hose sitting in the overflow). I don't understand why it would overheat all the sudden. It had a brand new radiator around 2-3 months ago. What the heck is going on ?

Overheating, expanded radiator hose, bubbling in the expansion tank is either a stuck thermostat, a bad radiator cap or a bad cylinder head gasket. I would rule out the cap if it came new with the radiator.

I had to reuse the cap. I just changed the thermostat because it was simple. I did the boiling water test and the old one and new one worked fine. However, i drove it around for a while ater replacing for about 20 minutes and it never overheated (i did keep the heat on though just in case). I saw a bit of white smoke last night when i first started the truck and this happened, but it wa 40 degrees outside and very cold so the smoke was much more noticable than normal. But today, i saw no white smoke really... And i didnt see any visible water in the oil. Wouldnt my truck smoke today as well and overheat fairly quickly if the head gasket was bad?
what would explain that "clunk" noise the other night? It almost felt like the motor locked up on the first try to start it

That would be coolant that is being compressed in the cylinders. I do believe you have a failed head gasket.

Ok, thats what I thought. However, I drove the vehicle all day today and got no overheating whatsoever. That being said, I am not going to mess with the head gasket on this truck, its not worth the work. What I do want to try though is the Blue Devil head gasket sealer....what is your opinion on this? Also, before I go buy it, is there any failsafe way to tell if its the head gasket, because I haven't overheated today, and I drove a good 45 minutes total start and stop, on and off. I don't want to spend $60 on the sealer if its not the head gasket, but I have been curious since so many people have said it works great.
Keep in mind, I only need this truck to last another year to so....so a temporary fix would be great.

Block sealer is a very good thing. If the gasket issues is not terribly bad, the block seal will fix it. If you are only going to keep it another year, by all means do it. If this was a long term thing, I would recommend against it, because the block seal does tend to clog the bottom of the radiator.

Is there a brand you would recommend ? The blue devil is expensive but im not familiar with all of them

we use this stuff: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/KW03/401016/N2359.oap?ck=Search_N2359_-1_-1&pt=N2359&ppt=C0180

Ok im gonna get some and put it in tonight, i guess it can't hurt. Also I just thought of something, could the coolant leak to the cylinders be the cause of my hard starting this entire time ????!!!

Possible. Coolant getting into the cylinders, ever 1/2 a cc will foul the plugs. Extended cranking would be required for the action of the spark to clean the foul condition

I put in some block sealer , and it hasnt overheated anymore as of yet. But whats weird is that my engine idle rpms are still very high, it fluctuates between 1200-1500 in park. I adjusted the idle control on the throttle body and it worked for a few hours then the idle went back up to high. This stuff must all be connected and i cant figure out whats going on
I still have some white smoke and confensation from the tailpipe upon cold start up, but it goes away once the engine warms up

Accelerated idle is usually from a vacuum leak at the intake area. The condensation is a bit normal, this will show up until you get the exhaust good and hot (like driving 30 miles).

My condesnation goes away fairly auick. Less than 5 minutes. But the white smoke seems more than normal for those 5 minutes. But goes away. Im trying to figure out if i have a heead gasket leak or not

Do you have a compressor capable of outputting 120 PSI air pressure?

Go to your local auto parts store. A decent one, not the auto section at Wal mart. Tell the counter guy you need an adapter for shop air to screw into your spark plug holes. This is a head gasket check tool. A good auto store will have one, or get it off a tool guy or the internet. This tool allows you to pressurize the cylinders individually (you have to crank the engine by hand to make sure the valves are all closed). Once the valves are closed in that cylinder, you inject air. Open the rad cap and observe the coolant. If the coolant has bubbles in it that quit when you shut off the compressed air, you have a head gasket problem. With the valves closed, the air has no place to go. If there is a problem with the gasket, the air (all you need is 125 PSI), the air will seep past the defect in the head gasket and then pressurize the cooling system. This causes the air to come out of the radiator. Do this with a COLD engine. A bad head gasket can cause hot coolant to spray out of the radiator which could burn you.

Lately on my cold start up, i will get a rev on the first tune of the key, which will always die shortly after... But that never happened before. It has done it two days in a row now. It used to take a few tried at least just to get an initial crank up
What would explain that?

If you are getting moisture into the cylinders, the moisture will not compress. This causes the engine to not turn over properly. (if this is what you are saying)

But why would he now try to crank much faster than before?

If it is cranking faster than before, you ought to check compression and the timing marks... Any time the engine cranks faster than normal the first thing to look at is the possibility of a timing belt that has jumped a tooth.

Ok i used sealer, and its weird. There is significantly less smoke coming from the tailpipe, now its a small amount just like when a truck starts cold and then goes away. It also seems like its easier to start now but still takes a few tries on a cold start. However, ive filled up my radiator twice since then, it has been lower than normal now. Whats going on? I dont see any visible leaks anywhere.

I would assume air pockets in the cooling system. This V6 cooling system holds over 2 gallons of coolant.

Hoe do i bleed those?

Jack the front up as far as you can get it. With the engine cold, remove the rad cap, start and run the engine with the rad cap off and watch for bubbles in the neck of the radiator. Watch the temp gauge. When it gets to 1/2 up, the coolant level should drop rather noticeably. Then top off the radiator. Add coolant as needed as it dribbles out as it warms up.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert