Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have 2008 Rav. 146,000+ miles. Just had oil change 2 weeks

Customer Question

I have 2008 Rav. 146,000+ miles. Just had oil change 2 weeks ago. On Friday drove 350 miles, Sat another 65 miles. Ran to local store today and as parking, check engine, Vic and 4wd lights came on. Am supposed to drive home tomorrow (365 miles) where I would be more comfortable with my mechanic looking over things
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Rav4.

Are you asking if it is safe to drive the car home tomorrow?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Besides the lights being on, how does the Rav4 drive? Normally or does it have drive ability issues?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem driving, but only traveled short distance and was not driving at highway speeds

And I take it that you haven't had a chance to get the computer codes read yet, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, could stop at a local shop in am before heading out

That's ok. The lights coming on mean that the computer "sees" a problem and the fact that other warning lights are on just means that the other computers are tattle telling on the other computer. Much like a little brother to a little brother.

Now these codes stored in the computer can tell us where the problem lies but they can come on for many reasons. Including the gas cap being on loose and causing excessive emissions. That's not to say if the problem was the gas cap being loose and you tightened it, the lights wouldn't go out. If would take a sacntool to do that.

That's why I asked how it was driving. If you haven't had a chance to drive it for 3-5 miles at highway speeds, I would like to see that, just to see how it goes. This most likely isn't a big expensive problem but if there is a problem that needs to be looked at before starting a***** now is the time to test it and see. That way it can be physically checked before getting out on the highway.

Does this make sense?

Were you able to see my last reply?