Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2005 Toyota4 runner sport vsc stops working after put in

Customer Question
gear and driven and may...
2005 Toyota4 runner sport vsc stops working after put in gear and driven and may go 1 mile or 10 ft.. and light comes on and stops working just had a used abs main pump does not read on of obdi at parts stores and 2 shops read wrong codes I put rezevore on off old one still won't work and changed relay still not working can you answer this correctly
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
10/29/2015
Toyota Mechanic: scionking, Toyota Expert replied 2 years ago
scionking
scionking, Toyota Expert

What was the original condition with the car? What lead to the ABS pump replacement?

Thank goodness I got through I don't mind paying for the answer just couldn't get in anyway. The abs wasn't working and I had a used unit put on from eBay now the abs light is still coming on soon after its put in gear but works until it comes on
Abs works vsc won't work
Sorry abs light is off and works vsc still wont work

OK your post said VSC light, you just said ABS light, just want to confirm which it is?

Abs works now I ment to put vsc doesn't work it may work for a 100 ft or a couple of miles but then light comes back on and vsc working
it's been hell getting it to work vsc won't work and abs works now

So the ABS light isn't on at all?, just the VSC comes on after you shift it into gear and start to drive correct?

After replacing the ABS pump was a zero point calibration done to the VSC system?

The zero point calibration is probably undone or not correct.

Visit this youtube video link, it shows how to manually do the zero point calibration with out a scan tool..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55XmiSsGQgo

Abs works fine vsc won't work but for a few minutes then stops working when light comes on sometimes 100 feet or 2 miles vsc comes back on abs now works ?I tried the o calabration w/ the proper pins .seems that it wouldn't work at all if that were the case?

Do you have access to a scan tool?

No and it doesn't read on the ones at 2 parts stores won't read the code 2 garages have misdiagnosed it alteady it looks like I'll have to sign my bank account to the toyota dealer
Mabe the code reader needs to be connected when the car is in gear and light is on? They checked it in park

No it can be checked in the park position, there are codes in the system that will relate to the VSC light. Most code readers will not see these codes,unless they are higher end scan tools. I really think that it is a zero point calibration issue, this is so common on these cars, especially when people replace the battery. If you do decide to take it to a Toyota Dealer I doubt they would charge you more then $100 to scan it and do the zero point calibration if it needs it.

Is the calabration the same as the 2003 pin # ***** as I recall and 14 I saw it in the obdi manual it had a diagram and I think it was to be shorted together several times and then blink I followed the instructions in the book as the y connector is mimicked by the two # ***** copper wires pushed into the female pins and shorted or is it different on the 05 4 runner , I know I'm not a mechanic and its not as good as a Toyota code reader no one else has had the same issue w/ their vsc at least not that I read on line gas cap was the most common issue can the main abs unit be bad? That's hopefully not the case

(a) Clear the zero point calibration data.

(1) Turn the ignition switch off.

(2) Check that the steering wheel is centered.

(3) Check that the shift lever is in P.

(4) Turn the ignition switch to ON.

(5) The ABS warning light and slip indicator light come on for 3 seconds to indicate that the initial check is completed.

(6) Using SST, connect and disconnect terminals 12 (TS) and 4 (CG) of the DLC3 4 times or more within 8 seconds.

(7) Check that the slip indicator light comes on.

(b) Perform zero point calibration of the yaw rate and acceleration sensor.

(1) Turn the ignition switch off.

(3) Check that the shift lever is in P.

NOTICE:

* DTCs 36 (Zero Point Calibration of Yaw Rate Sensor Undone) and 39 (Zero Point Calibration of Acceleration Sensor Undone) are stored if the shift lever is not in P.
* If a DTC is output that indicates zero point calibration is incomplete, repeat the procedure starting at the step for clearing the zero point calibration data and system information.

(4) Using SST, connect terminals 12 (TS) and 4 (CG) of the DLC3.

(5) Turn the ignition switch to ON.

(6) Keep the vehicle stationary on a level surface for 5 seconds or more.

(7) Check that the slip indicator light comes on for several seconds and then blink in the test mode pattern (0.125 seconds on and 0.125 seconds off).

HINT:

* If the slip indicator light does not blink, perform zero point calibration again.
* The zero point calibration is performed only once after the system enters test mode.
* Calibration cannot be performed again until the stored data is cleared.

(8) Turn the ignition switch off and disconnect SST from the DLC3.

(c) Drive the vehicle straight ahead at 40 km/h (25 mph) or more for at least 10 seconds.

scionking
scionking
scionking, Toyota Expert