Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

How do you replace running board lights on a Lexus GX470?

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
10/27/2015
Toyota Mechanic: AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. Please review the following and let me know if this is what you are looking for.

RUNNING BOARD LIGHT BULB REPLACEMENT
1. Remove the 20-amp fuse “ECU B1” from the fuse box located under the hood with a fuse puller or disconnect the negative
battery cable at the battery.
2. With the straight screwdriver CAREFULLY pry the top clip of the vehicle electrical connector out of the front bracket so as not to damage the clip. Disconnect the connectors.
3. Remove Running Board. Refer to TSIB No. AX004-00, Running Board Installation Instructions. Follow steps 1 – 7 in the section Platform
Replacement Procedure: Remove Current Running Board.
CAUTION:
Do NOT lift the running board by the top of the endcaps (above light pipes).
4. Place the running board on a clean, protected surface.
5. Turn the back ribbed end of the module counterclockwise one quarter turn and pull away from the module body.
CAUTION:
If the reflector falls out of the module, handle ONLY while wearing cotton gloves.
6. Wearing cotton gloves, reach into the light module and extract the silver reflector bowl.

Installation Procedure
RUNNING BOARD !Removed!’Y: LIGHT BULB OR MODULE END REPLACEMENT – AX002-01 April 27, 2001
Page 3 of 4
7. If changing the bulb only: Wearing cotton gloves, wiggle the bulb loose, and replace with the new bulb by wiggling back and forth while exerting a slight pressure until seated.
8. If changing the module end: Disconnect the electrical connector of the module end from the wiring harness, and replace with the new module end.
NOTE: To replace the module end in the rear endcap, the tie wrap at the wiring connector to the aluminum L–bracket must be cut off and replaced.
9. Still wearing cotton gloves, replace the silver reflector over the bulb until seated and replace the module end into the module body. Apply a slight pressure and turn clockwise one quarter turn ensuring the locking tab on the module end is fully engaged in the hook on the module body. Pull to check that it is seated and engaged.
NOTE: Be sure that the “O” ring is installed on the module end before installation.
10. Reinstall running board to vehicle. Refer to TSIB No. AX004-00, Running Board Installation Instructions. Follow steps 1 – 6 under Installation Procedure: Installation & Alignment Procedure.
Installation Procedure (Continued)
Page 4 of 4
1. Adjust the entire running board assembly to allow the front fascia flap’s inner surface to rest on the front cladding fastener mounting surface. Hand start the 10 mm self-tapping mud flap screw through the front running board face. Align the running board to blend with the cladding.
2. Clip together wiring harness connectors. Also, snap vehicle wire harness into top front bracket slot.
3. With a 13 mm socket, torque the 8 mm fasteners of the rear brackets to the following specifications:Torque: 12 ftlbs (16 Nm)
4. With a 13mm socket, torque the 8 mm fasteners of the middle brackets. Torque: 12 ftlbs (16 Nm)
5. With a 13mm socket, torque the 8 mm fasteners of the front brackets. Torque: 12 ftlbs (16 Nm)
6. Tighten 10 mm self-tapping screw in front endcap.
7. Adjust front and rear endcap into rocket. Tighten down the 7/16” nuts on all the brackets. Torque the fasteners to the following:
Torque: 8 ftlbs (11 Nm)
8. Reinstall the air conditioning shroud cover over the two air conditioning lines. Use a 10 mm 3/8” drive deep socket (right–hand side only).
9. Reinstall the 20-amp fuse “ECU B1” in the fuse box located under the hood or reconnect the battery cable to the battery.
10. Check running board lights.

that is with the running board removed, however you may be able to accomplish this by simply removing the screw in the plastic at the end and pulling the plastic away enough to access the socket without removing the running board.

Were you able to get those replaced?

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician