Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

My speedometer doesn't work, All lights in my instrument

Customer Question

My speedometer doesn't work, All lights in my instrument cluster work except the needle on the speedo. Usually when I turn the key to the ON position, all my needles flicker then go back down except the needle on my speedometer. The whole car functions correctly and everything seems normal, but the needle stays at O mph.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Are you getting the ODOMETER to register miles? Is the check engine light on or do you have a code reader to check for codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the odometer registers miles. The cel is NOT on, and I do not have a code reader.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Based on your last reply this confirms that there are no codes set in the computer otherwise the check engine light would've been on if it was not seeing a speed signal input from the speedometer. The fact that the odometer is registering miles means that both the sensors are working correctly and this is a mechanical problem with the needle in the speedometer itself. The odometer head needs to be sent out for repair or a new one ordered from the dealer so the mileage can be clocked the same. This would be covered for three years and 36,000 miles unless it is a salvage vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will Toyota cover the cost of this repair or will it go through my insurance? And I am only at 2000 miles. When I send it in for repair, will I take the whole car in or just the instrument cluster?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Instrument cluster is covered for three years and a 36,000 miles it should be no cost to you and will be covered under the normal Toyota warranty. That being said all dealers are different usually what they will do is bring your car in get the mileage off of the car and has to stay overnight while the order the new cluster it cannot be driven so that the mileage changes before the new cluster is installed. You should get a loaner car provided.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Please do not forget to rate the information that I provided you at three or higher and if you have any other questions feel free to reply and I will get back to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way I can get a quote from you, incase my dealership for some reason denies me this service? I do not have the time to call right now, I am at work
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

This is pretty clearly warranty for three years and 36,000 miles unless the vehicle has been wracked or is a salvage title then it would have to be investigated as to whether insurance covers or warranty. There should be a way for you on your end to copy and paste or print the dialogue that we have been having.