Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I am looking a buying a 2012 toyota prius C that was

Customer Question
involved in a front crash...
I am looking a buying a 2012 toyota prius C that was involved in a front crash with air bag deployment. the vehicle has a new front clip installed on the car and looks ok but all of the controls on the steering dont work ?
Seller says there maybe a fuse out ??
I asked about the driver airbag and seller says it was repaired.
Is the steering wheel controls part of the SRS system ?
Can you please advise !
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
10/19/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Prius C.

The problem will not be a fuse but could be that the controls could be unplugged behind the steering wheel airbag.

Are there any warning lights on?

I don't know about warning lights I will have to look tomorrow. Is the steering will controls tied to the SRS airbag system?

Yes and also a resounding no. This sounds weird but is why I asked about the warning lights. The steering wheel controls as well as the steering wheel airbag need to connect to the other components but also spin via the steering wheel. They both (the airbag and controls) through a spiral cable. One cause would be if when they repair the car, they might have left just the control plug disconnected. Now if the spiral cable is bad, then the SRS warning light would be on. So, the controls are not part of the SRS system, but could be not working if the spiral cable, which is sort of part of the SRS system, is bad.

Does this make sense?

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician