Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Hose connecting EGR and Vacuum Modulator keeps blowing off

Customer Question

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** or 4 cylinder engine? Have you tried to replace the hose? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 cyl. No but rubber hose is not clogged. Replaced vacuum modulator and EGR valve. Cleaned out IAC also. Still blows off at high RPM. When I rev engine at idle
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

There should be vacuum "sucking" going from engine to modulator. Then modulator should only allow the vacuum to EGR as needed. Is the vacuum sucking or blowing? Is the modulator allowing egr to get vacuum at all times?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Or the Modulator receives vacuum, then passes it to the VSV, which cuts it off to the EGR. So is VSV stopping vacuum to egr when engine is running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dan. Found catalytic converter clogged.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Good to hear problem was figured out, the positive vacuum wasn't making sense but now does. Thanks for update and let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.