Roger, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Automotive Technician
88470418

I have a cracked rack boot. Dealer says only way to fix is

Customer Question

I have a cracked rack boot. Dealer says only way to fix is to replace entire rack and pinion steering unit for $1500. Is this necessary since there no leakage or problems with steering.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Sometimes you can find aftermarket boot kits to replace those with depends on the vehicle I'll do a little research and see what I can find, but as to your actual question technically no its not necessary at the moment, but what you'll run in to is because that boot is missing you can get dirt and debris in the steering gear, but if you need to, to save money, you can drive for now without replacing it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your prompt response.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

No problem at all! Happy to help!

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to give me a rating, I can't get paid for my time if each interaction is not rated. Thanks!